Life is never boring in the Android community, thanks to all the custom ROMs that you can flash on your devices. Developers just love to tinker with scripts as much as flashaholics love to flash new ROMs. When you think that the XDA Developers community has stopped loving your age-old Galaxy Nexus, think again. With every new firmware update comes a developer with several goodies in her or his bag of ROMs. This time, your Samsung Galaxy Nexus is the lucky device to receive some developer loving. XDA Developers member codenamedroid introduces Codename Android, a ROM based on Jelly Bean.
Whether you have the Verizon, Sprint, or international variant of the Galaxy Nexus, Codename Android 3.8.0 will work for you. You can customize your phone using this ROM, from the Camera App to the Display settings. You also get to enjoy some CyanogenMod features. SuperSU, BusyBox, bash, and nano have also been included.
This guide shows you how to flash Codename Android ROM for the Galaxy Nexus.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with theSamsung Galaxy Nexus, model numbers GT-I9250, SPH-L700, and SCH-I515. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A rooted Samsung Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250, SPH-L700, or SCH-I515 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Check out the following guides for help:
- Download the appropriate ZIP files for your device:
- Codename Android 3.8.0 ROM
- Download one of the following Google Apps packages:
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Make sure that your phone's battery is 50% or more to avoid installation interruption due to power loss.
- Copy the appropriate Codename Android 3.8.0 ROM ZIP file and the Google Apps package of your choice to your phone’s internal SD Card.
- Turn your phone off.
- Boot to ClockworkMod Recovery. Press and hold down the Volume Down, Volume Up, and Power buttons to enter Fastboot Mode. From there, use the Volume buttons to navigate to the “Recovery” option and use the Power button to select it.
- Note: Use the Volume buttons to scroll up and down and the Power button to select an option if you are not using the touch version of ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Create a NANDroid Backup of your existing ROM. Go to Backup and Restore > Backup.
- Do a full wipe:
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset > Yes.
- Select Wipe Cache Partition > Yes.
- Select Advanced > Wipe Dalvik Cache > Yes.
- Select Advanced > Fix Permissions > Yes.
- Select Install ZIP from SD Card > Choose ZIP from SD Card > locate and select Codename-Android-3.8.0-GN-GSM.zip file > Yes.
- Repeat step 7 to flash the GApps package of your choice.
- Select Go Back > Reboot System Now.
Great! You have flashed the Codename Android 3.8.0 ROM to your Samsung Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250, SPH-L700, or SCH-I515. Let us know how you like the ROM by leaving your comments below.
Ken is an expert on management and is currently engrossed with his newly started adventure in logistics management. But, that's only his second love. His first love, of course, and without being mushy when this is said, is Android.