Just after Google unveiled Android 4.1 Jelly Bean running on the Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250, news of a leaked Jelly Bean ROM began to surface online that could enable any Galaxy Nexus owner to update to the latest version.
Those who wish to try upgrading their Galaxy Nexus to stock Android 4.1 Jelly Bean can do so just by following our guide. This is a completely stock ROM with no other modifications added. It is the same ROM that Google demonstrated at Google I/O this year.
Check out our guide below for the full details.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, model number GT-I9250. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250 with custom recovery (e.g., ClockworkMod Recovery or TWRP Touch Recovery) installed. For help with flashing custom recovery, see these guides:
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Download the stock Jelly Bean ROM (jb-takju.zip, 230 MB)
- Copy the Jelly Bean ROM’s ZIP file to your phone’s SD card.
- Switch off your phone.
- Boot your phone into recovery. You can do this by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons together until your phone screen turns on. Highlight the Restart Recovery option using the volume buttons, and select it using the Power button to confirm your selection.
- Select Backup and Restore, then confirm that you want to back up your current ROM. After backup is complete, go back to the main recovery menu.
- Select Wipe data/Factory reset. Confirm the data wipe by selecting Yes on the screen that follows.
- Select Install ZIP from SDcard, then browse for the Jelly Bean ROM file and select it. Confirm that you want to begin installation. It may take 5-10 minutes for the whole installation process to complete.
- After the installation is complete, head back to the main recovery menu.
- Select Reboot System Now to reboot your phone to Jelly Bean.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on your Samsung Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250.
Paul and I.T. are synonyms. If you need help with I.T.-related stuff, call on Paul. His experience with Android phones goes way back to the ancient single-core-phone days. But, he keeps himself up to date, so now he has a dual-core beast in his pocket, and is looking forward to getting his first quad-core monster, and when it comes, his first eight-core phone. Perhaps he should be called Mr. X-Core, where "X" equals the number of CPU cores.