Manually upgrade the Samsung Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250 (GSM) to Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich
The Samsung Galaxy Nexus is the first Android device to run on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich officially, and since then, the device has never been left behind when it comes to the latest version of Android. The latest installment of everybody’s favorite frozen treat is already rolling out and the Galaxy Nexus is no exception.
Galaxy Nexus owners who are already contented with Android 4.0.1 or 4.0.2 running on their devices will surely love the idea of jumping right away to Android 4.0.4.
While the update is making its way to many Galaxy Nexus owners, there are some users who still have a hard time on getting the OTA update notification popping on their phones. If the traditional method fails, there is always the other way of getting that update on your device: manually flashing the factory image.
This guide is intended only for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus GSM/HSPA+ GT-I9250 with product codename “yakju” and handset codename “maguro”. This will not work on any other Galaxy Nexus variants, such as the one on Verizon or other carriers.
- Samsung Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250 (GSM/HSPA+)
- The product name on the phone must be “yakju”–not a variant of that codename, nor an entirely different codename. Use the GN Official Update Checker app (from the Google Play Store) to check your phone’s product name.
- Your phone must not be running a custom ROM. It must be on stock Android 4.0.2 Ice Cream Sandwich (build ICL53F).
- You must unlock the bootloader on your phone.
- A Linux or Windows computer
- A RAR extraction program (such as WinRAR for Windows)
- Download the following files to your computer:
- Using any RAR extraction software, extract the ADB and Fastboot binaries into a folder on your computer. Among the extracted files will be adb/adb.exe and fastboot/fastboot.exe.
- Copy cwm.img into the same folder where adb or adb.exe is located.
- (For Windows users only) Copy commandprompt.bat into the same folder where adb or adb.exe is located.
- Copy the Android 4.0.4 OTA package into the /sdcard directory on your phone.
- Power down your phone completely.
- Reboot the phone into bootloader mode by holding down both the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons as you press the Power button.
- Connect your Galaxy Nexus to your computer via USB cable.
- On your PC, launch a command prompt or terminal. If you’re on Linux, change directory to where you extracted the ADB and Fastboot binaries. If you’re on Windows, double-click on commandprompt.bat.
- Type the following command at the terminal window (if on Windows, replace fastboot with fastboot.exe):
./fastboot boot cwm.img
- Your phone will reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery instead of the stock recovery.
- From the ClockworkMod Recovery menu, select Install zip from sd card > Choose zip from sd card. Browse for the downloaded Android 4.0.4 OTA update and select it. Confirm that you want to flash the ZIP file. It may take 5-10 minutes for the installation process to finish.
- Your phone should automatically reboot itself once it finishes installing.
Congratulations! You have successfully manually applied the Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich OTA update on your Samsung Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250.