More and more XDA Developers members are creating custom ROMs for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515. With 4G LTE and great battery performance, this phone looks like it was designed for some heavy-duty custom ROM flashing. One of the latest custom ROMs released is the Eclipse 3.1 ROM, developed by XDA Developers member nitroglycerine33, for Android 4.2 Jelly Bean users.
Eclipse is a dark-themed ROM with a fully inverted UI design, perfect for a touch of dark in your Android experience. Features like the Photo Sphere camera, DSP Manager, OI File Manager, and the Trinity kernel are included in this ROM.
This guide shows you how to flash Eclipse ROM for the Galaxy Nexus I515.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, model number SCH-I515. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A Verizon Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515 with unlocked bootloader and ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Download the following to your computer:
- Eclipse ROM (Eclipse3.1-toro-build1.zip, md5sum: 4e6a5ee8ab3df31833fa0ecbf4ad208f)
- GApps Package (gapps-jb42-20121128-phone.zip, md5sum: 582e664d5f3ff64bae6f44d3e538b12c)
- Make sure your device's battery still has at least 70% power. You don't want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the Eclipse3.1-toro-build1.zip and gapps-jb42-20121128-phone.zip files to your phone's internal SD Card.
- Switch off your Galaxy Nexus.
- Boot into Recovery Mode. To do this, press and hold down the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons until Fastboot Mode boots. Select Recovery.
- Note: Use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an option.
- Create a NANDroid backup. Select Backup and Restore > Backup.
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset > Yes.
- Select Install ZIP from SD Card > Choose ZIP form SD Card > locate and select the Eclipse3-toro-progress3.zipfile > Yes.
- Repeat step 6 and flash gapps-jb42-112112-phone.zip.
- Select Go Back > Reboot System Now.
Congratulations! You have successfully flashed the Eclipse 3.0 ROM on your Verizon Galaxy Nexus I515. Enjoy your jaunt to dark side.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.