Slimmed-down custom ROMs have been offering convenience and ease to their users, like giving users more storage space on their Android phones. Recently, a follow-up ROM to the Slim ICS series of slimmed-down ROMs has been released for the international (GT-I9250) and the Verizon (SCH-I515) variants of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. XDA Developers member krarvind made it possible.
The custom ROM, called Slim Bean, is based on Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean and therefore comes with the same features as Jelly Bean. The ROM's size is about 80-90 MB and comes with a custom home launcher. Other features include smaller DPI value for higher density of text and for a sharper look.
The Slim Bean ROM is still in its initial stages of development and minor bug like slow GPS connection is expected to occur. Nevertheless, current available features work fine and developers have assured that they'll be fixing the bugs soon.
In this guide, you will learn how to flash Slim Bean ROM to the Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250 / SCH-I515.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the international GSM Samsung Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250 or Verizon Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250 or Verizon Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515 with unlocked bootloader and ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Download the following files:
- Make sure that your phone's battery is charged to 60% or more. This will ensure that your phone will not turn off during installation.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the ROM ZIP file and Common_1.x.zip to your phone's internal SD card.
- Turn off your phone.
- Press and hold down the Power, Volume Up, and Volume Down buttons together to boot into Fastboot Mode.You will see “START” written in big green letters.
- Using the Volume buttons, highlight Recovery Mode and select it using the Power button to reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Wipe the data on your phone (skip this step if you came from the previous version of this ROM):
- Select Wipe data/factory reset. Confirm wipe by selecting Yes. Wait until the data wipe is completed.
- Go to Mounts and Storageand select Format /systemon the next screen.
- Select Wipe cache partitionand confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Install ZIP from SD cardthen select Choose ZIP from SD card. Locate and selecttheROM ZIP file from the SD card. Confirm installation by selecting Yes.
- NOTE: If the installation process finishes for less than 5 seconds, reflash the ROM file to your mobile phone.
- Once the installation is completed, select Choose ZIP From SD Card again and flash the Common_1.x.zip.
- Once the installation is completed, go back to the main recovery menu and select Reboot system now to boot up your phone to the Slim Bean ROM.
Kudos! Android 4.1.1-based Slim Bean ROM has now been successfully installed on your Samsung Galaxy Nexus. You may now start using and exploring the ROM and its features.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.