Giving us a little break from all the Jelly Bean mayhem these past weeks is XDA Developers member vicino with his JELLYBEAN – Honeycomb theme for the Galaxy Nexus. Honeycomb was the Android version that was once exclusive to Android tablets.
We won't be showing you how to install a Honeycomb ROM in this guide, but instead, we will be helping you have your Galaxy Nexus run on a Honeycomb theme. This Honeycomb theme will only work with CM10-based ROMs, most preferably AndroidME. The theme is as clean as slate and is very fresh to look at, especially since we all have been seeing too much of Jelly Bean everywhere. It's great to have a bit of a change in visuals and of course, the Honeycomb theme is a good start since it is known to be a tablet-only goodie.
In this guide, learn how to install a Honeycomb theme for CM10 on the Galaxy Nexus I9250.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, model number GT-I9250. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A Samsung Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250 running on CyanogenMod 10 and ClockworkMod Recovery installed. For help with meeting these requirements, check our guides:
- Your phone's USB cable.
- Download the following to your computer:
- Make sure your phone's battery is charged up to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the JELLYBEAN – Honeycomb CM10 Theme and the Honeycomb Wallpaper to your phone's SD card.
- Switch the phone off and boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, press and hold the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons until the screen turns on. Select Restart Recovery using the Volume keys and tap the Power button to select it.
- Make a NANDroid backup of your current ROM in case of problems. To create a backup, go to Backup and Restore and select Backup. Wait for the process to finish.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD card, navigate to the JB-HonycombTheme-V.1-CM10-Vico.zip file and select it. Confirm the action on the next screen to start installing the theme to your phone.
- After installation is done, select Go back and select Reboot system now. This will reboot your phone to the newly installed theme.
- NOTE: You can set the wallpaper anytime you want. Just go to Settings > Display > Wallpaper.
- If your phone gets stuck while booting for more than 5 minutes, the theme may not be compatible with your ROM. Remove the battery from the phone, wait for 5 seconds, and re-insert the battery. Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery, select Backup and Restore and select Restore. Select the latest backup file and select it to restore your phone to the previous ROM.
Great job! Your Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250 now has the Honeycomb theme running. You don't need to wonder how the Honeycomb experience is on tablets since you're seeing it now with your own eyes on your Galaxy Nexus. Have fun!
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.