Galaxy Nexus owners who have a hard time updating their phones to the latest Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean through OTA updates, or even through a pre-rooted (de)odexed ROM based on the OTA updates, will never have to worry about anything ever again as Google has already posted the official stock Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean factory images for the Galaxy Nexus and other Nexus devices. For those of you who aren't familiar with it yet, factory images are what we call stock firmware which can be used to reset your phone to a factory-new state, complete with all of the latest updates.
XDA Developers member teshxx has come up with a rooted and deodexed Jelly Bean ROM for the Galaxy Nexus based on the official factory images released by Google. This ROM is completely stock. The only difference is that it is already rooted and includes BusyBox binaries. And the best part is that it is faster than OTA-based ROMs that have already been released.
This guide teaches you how to upgrade the Galaxy Nexus I9250 to pre-rooted Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean factory images.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, model number GT-I9250. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250 with TWRP Recovery installed
- Download one of the following Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean factory image ROMs to your computer:
- Deodexed ROM without BusyBox (Maguro_JellyBean_4.1.1_Deodexed_Rooted_teshxx.zip, 230 MB)
- Deodexed ROM with BusyBox (Maguro_JellyBean_4.1.1_Deodexed_Rooted_Busybox_teshxx.zip, md5sum: dc253ffc1cf4087e62abe577be7e2334)
- Odexed ROM with BusyBox (Maguro_JellyBean_4.1.1_Odexed_Rooted_Busybox_teshxx.zip, md5sum: 334fc4e1451fc5e9f82e3c1a51f6674b)
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the ROM ZIP file to your phone's SD card.
- Switch off your phone.
- Boot into TWRP Recovery. You can do this by holding down the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons until your phone screen turns on. Scroll down and select the Restart Recovery option using the Volume buttons, and select it by pressing the Power button to boot into recovery.
- Select Backup and slide the blue circle button found at the bottom-right to create a backup of your current ROM. After backup is complete, head back to the main menu by selecting the Home button found at the bottom-left portion of the screen.
- Select Wipe then select Factory reset, after which confirm the data wipe.
- Select Install then browse for the ROM ZIP file and select it. Confirm the installation by sliding the blue button. Wait for a couple of minutes until recovery finishes installing it on your phone.
- Reboot your phone by selecting Reboot system after the installation process finishes. Your phone should boot up to stock, pre-rooted Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed a stock, pre-rooted Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean factory image on your Samsung Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250.
Paul and I.T. are synonyms. If you need help with I.T.-related stuff, call on Paul. His experience with Android phones goes way back to the ancient single-core-phone days. But, he keeps himself up to date, so now he has a dual-core beast in his pocket, and is looking forward to getting his first quad-core monster, and when it comes, his first eight-core phone. Perhaps he should be called Mr. X-Core, where "X" equals the number of CPU cores.