Flash CyanogenMod 9 nightly build on Samsung Galaxy Nexus GSM/CDMA
The Samsung Galaxy Nexus is the first Android phone to run Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, however users are not yet satisfied and would still prefer the sweetness of custom ROMs on their phone. With enhanced features and faster updates, custom ROMs are definitely better than stock ROMs–some custom ROMs anyway, such as CyanogenMod 9.
If you prefer the mods, tweaks, and enhancements that the CyanogenMod team has done on the bare Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, try some of the CyanogenMod Team’s nightly treats of CyanogenMod 9 for your phone.
This step-by-step guide will teach you to add some sugar on your Galaxy Nexus by flashing nightly builds of CyanogenMod 9 on your phone.
- Download the most recent CyanogenMod 9 nightly build for your respective phone:
- A rooted Galaxy Nexus with ClockworkMod Recovery installed. Need help? Check out our guide for rooting the Galaxy Nexus CDMA and installing ClockworkMod Recovery.
- For a successfully installation, temporarily close all system tools such as Samsung KIES, antivirus software, and firewall programs prior to flashing the ROM.
- Charge the Galaxy Nexus’ battery to at least 70% or more (full charge recommended).
- Create a backup of your mobile phone data before flashing the ROM.
Follow the flashing instructions below at your own risk. Any damage dealt by your use of this guide will be your own responsibility, not ours. Proceed with caution.
- Download the CyanogenMod 9 nightly build for your specific device from the links provided above. Save the file to your computer. Do not extract the ZIP file.
- Connect your Samsung Galaxy Nexus to the computer using a USB cable.
- Copy the CyanogenMod 9 package into your phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect your phone from the computer.
- Switch off your mobile phone and wait until it is completely turned off.
- Reboot your phone into bootloader mode. To do that you will need to press and hold both the Volume Up and Volume Down keys simultaneously while tapping the Power button.
- Once in bootloader mode, use the Volume keys to navigate to “recovery” and tap the Power button to start recovery mode.
- Select Backup and restore > Backup to create a backup of your current ROM.
- Go back to the main menu and perform a full wipe by doing the following:
- Select “Wipe data/factory reset” and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select “Wipe Cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select “Wipe Dalvik Cache” and confirm the action on the next screen.
- After performing a full wipe, go back to the main menu and select “install zip from sd card.”
- Navigate to “choose zip from sd card” and select the CyanogenMod 9 ROM you have saved on the phone’s SD card. Select Yes to begin flashing the ROM on your phone.
- Return to the main menu and select “Reboot system now.” This will restart your Galaxy Nexus with the new CyanogenMod 9 ROM.
Hooray! You have successfully flashed the most recent CyanogenMod 9 nightly build on your Samsung Galaxy Nexus.