TWRP Recovery for your phone is now available for Sprint Galaxy Nexus CDMA SPH-L700 devices, giving users an alternative to ClockworkMod Recovery. It functions more or less the same as ClockworkMod Recovery, giving you the ability to flash custom ROMs and kernels, but the TWRP Recovery is certainly no copycat.
Sprint’s Galaxy Nexus SPH-L700 is still fresh from its release, but many users are already excited to tweak their devices. Giving the phone a decent custom recovery is the initial stepping stone to flash custom kernels and scripts and Team Win Recovery Project certainly didn’t waste any time. TWRP has been invading many Android phones recently, posing as competition to the famous ClockworkMod Recovery. With the momentum it’s been gaining lately, TWRP does not just offer users an alternative; TWRP also tries to stand out by giving users extra features not found in ClockworkMod Recovery, as well as an attractive interface.
If you want to try this on your Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus, check out the requirements and instructions below.
- Samsung Galaxy Nexus SPH-L700
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Make sure that your battery has at least 50% charge to avoid interruption due to power loss.
- Download one of the following recovery images:
- TWRP Recovery ZIP file (for installing via ClockworkMod Recovery) (openrecovery-twrp-2.1.2-toroplus-signed.zip, 5.4 MB)
- TWRP Recovery image (for installation via Fastboot only) (twrp-toroplus-2.1.2.img, 5.3 MB)
- Install the appropriate USB drivers for your device (required if installing via Fastboot)
- Your phone’s bootloader must be unlocked (required if installing via Fastboot)
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus CDMA on Sprint, with model number SPH-L700. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
Installing via ClockworkMod Recovery
- Copy openrecovery-twrp-2.1.2-toroplus-signed.zip into the root of your phone’s SD card.
- Turn off your phone.
- Boot your phone to Recovery Mode by holding down the Power, Volume Up, and the Volume Down keys until the phone enters Fastboot/Bootloader mode. Use the Volume keys to highlight “Recovery mode” and press the Power key to select it and enter Recovery Mode.
- In Recovery, select Install ZIP from SD Card then Choose ZIP from SD Card. Browse for the TWRP ZIP file and confirm the installation by selecting Yes.
- Once the installation is done, reboot your phone by selecting Go Back then Reboot System Now.
Your phone should now be able to boot to TWRP Recovery. If you do not have Clockwork Mod Recovery on your phone, you can install TWRP Recovery via Fastboot Mode.
Installing via Fastboot
- Download the Fastboot package (Fastboot.zip, 404.46 kB) to your computer.
- Extract the Fastboot package to drive C:\ and you should get a Fastboot folder containing four files.
- Copy the twrp-toroplus-2.1.2.img to the Fastboot folder.
- Rename twrp-toroplus-2.1.2.img to recovery.img.
- Turn off your phone.
- Connect your phone to your computer in Fastboot Mode:
- Plug the USB cable into your computer first, but don’t connect the cable to your phone yet.
- Hold down Volume Up and Volume Down keys as you press the Power button.
- Connect the other end of the USB cable to the phone once the phone enters Fastboot mode.
- Open a command prompt on your computer and type in the following commands. Press Enterafter each command:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- After the installation is done, enter the command below to reboot your phone:
Congratulations! You can now install custom ROMs on your Sprint Galaxy Nexus SPH-L700 via TWRP Recovery 2.1.2. Happy flashing!