Samsung Galaxy Mega hands on pictures emerge
The rumored Galaxy Mega 6.3-inch and 5.8-inch devices were both confirmed this morning by Samsung. The guys over at Ubergizmo got their hands on the Mega 6.3, and shared their thoughts on the design, display, and performance. Before we dive into that, here is a quick rundown of specs for both devices:
- 6.3-inch 1280 x 720 display or 5.8-inch 960 x 540 display.
- 1.7GHz dual-core processor or 1.4 GHz dual-core processor.
- Both have 1.5GB RAM.
- 8/16GB storage with both featuring microSD card support up to 64GB.
- Both have an 8-megapixel rear-facing camera and 1.9-megapixel front-facing camera.
- LTE with HSPA+ support or HSPA+ only.
- Both shipping with Android 4.2 Jelly Bean.
- 3200 mAh battery or 2600 mAh battery.
The Galaxy Mega looks very similar to the Galaxy S4 and has an industrial poly-carbonate design. With such a large screen, it’s 7.5mm wider, but 1.4mm thinner than the Galaxy Note 2. According to writer Hubert Nguyen, it actually fits in his pocket without being too uncomfortable. Because of having smaller bezels and being slightly thinner, the Mega fits in the hand similarly to the Note 2.
Although the Galaxy Mega 6.3-inch doesn’t feature a 1080p display rumored for the Galaxy Note 3, the 720p display offers great image quality thanks to it being LCD. Samsung may eventually manufacture AMOLED displays for both Megas, but it’s too early to tell at the moment.
Since both are running dual-core processors, performance won’t be as impressive when compared to the Galaxy Note 2 or even the upcoming Galaxy S4. However, the current generation Galaxy Mega phones are geared toward users who want reasonable performance, but a larger display. As we see with every line of smartphones or tablets from manufacturers, each generation gets better and more powerful.