The CyanogenMod team has revealed the official CyanogenMod 7 (CM7) ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830, bringing the customized and improved features of Android 2.3.7 Gingerbread to the said phone.
Although there are existing custom ROMs (e.g., CyanogenMod 9) based on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich for this phone, CM7 offers a more stable build on your mobile phone.
The rest of this post will guide you on how to install the official CM7 ROM on your Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830. The ROM is a Release Candidate (RC) build which is more stable compared to earlier builds of CM7. Though, expect a few bugs here and there.
If you want to experience a customized and enhanced Android 2.3.7 Gingerbread, follow our step-by-step guide and learn how to install CyanogenMod 7 on your Samsung Galaxy Ace.
- A rooted Samsung Galaxy Ace running on stock Android 2.3.x Gingerbread and with ClockworkMod Recovery installed (ClockworkMod 5 recommended). See this rooting guide on how to root your Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830 running on Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread DDKQ5 or DDKQ6.
- Backup your data before flashing the ROM.
- Charge the phone’s battery to 60% or more (full charge recommended).
- This flashing guide is compatible with the Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830. Using this guide on another device may cause damage. Use this guide at your own risk.
- The CM 7 ROM is still being developed. You may experience some minor bugs.
- Download the RC build of CyanogenMod 7 ROM from here (update-cm-7.2.0-RC1-cooper-signed.zip, 88.16 MB). Or, you can download the nightly build, if you like. Save the file to your computer.
- Download the GApps (Google Apps) package here (gapps-gb-20120116-237-signed.zip, 8.66 MB). Save the file to your computer.
- Hook up your Samsung Galaxy Ace to the computer using a USB cable.
- Copy the CyanogenMod 7 ROM and GApps packages directly to the phone’s SD card. Do not place it under a subfolder.
- Disconnect your phone from the computer.
- Switch off your phone and wait for it to vibrate to make sure your phone is completely turned off.
- Reboot your Samsung Galaxy Ace into ClockworkMod Recovery. You can do that by pressing the Home button (middle key) and Power key simultaneously until the phone boots.
- Once in Recovery, select “Wipe data/factory reset” and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Navigate to “Wipe Cache” and confirm the action to wipe all the data in the cache.
- Go back to the main menu and select “Advanced.” From there, select “Wipe Dalvik Cache” and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select “install zip from sd card.”
- Select “choose zip from sd card” and locate the CyanogenMod 7 ROM file. Confirm the action to begin flashing the ROM on your phone.
- Once installation is complete, return to the main menu and reselect “install zip from sd card” and flash the GApps package.
- Go back to the main menu and select “reboot system now” to restart your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully flashed Android 2.3.7 Gingerbread via CyanogenMod 7 on your Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830.