Upgrade LG G2X to Ice Cream Sandwich via Hellfire Sandwich Custom ROM
Looks like the LG G2X is finally getting its own taste of Ice Cream Sandwich, a bonus of a little fire. We’re talking about the Hellfire Sandwich custom ROM assembled by XDA Developers member x0xhellx0x, which is currently in its alpha build.
Unfortunately, the Hellfire Sandwich custom ROM is not yet functional enough to be used daily. But, all great things are realized in baby steps, and addressing bugs and known issues is already underway. It shouldn’t take long for us to see a more stable build of the Hellfire Sandwich custom ROM soon.
According to the developer, unnecessary keyboards and live wallpapers have been removed from the ROM. Though, it includes Hellpaper, boot animation, MIUI battery bar, an updated Trebuchet launcher, Torch, and the Phoenix music player.
At the moment, Hellfire Sandwich v1.1 unfortunately does not come with GApps so you will need to flash it yourself.
If you’d want to get a preview of what having this ROM on your LG G2X would be like, you’ll need a few things:
- A rooted LG G2X with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- A fully charged battery to prevent the device from shutting down during the upgrading process.
- Make sure to create a backup of all the important information on your phone in case data is lost or corrupted during the upgrading process.
- Hellfire Sandwich v1.1 ROM
- GApps package
Once you have everything ready, we may now proceed to upgrading your LG G2X to the Hellfire Sandwich Custom ROM:
- Download the Hellfire Sandwich v1.1 ROM and the GApps package to your computer.
- Connect your phone to your computer via the USB Cable.
- Copy both of downloaded files into the root of your device’s external microSD card.
- Turn off your phone.
- Boot into Recovery mode.
- Create a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM so you can easily restore it from recovery if something does not work out with the Hellfire Sandwich Custom ROM.
- Perform a full wipe:
- Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”.
- Select “Wipe Cache Partition”.
- On the main Recovery menu, select Advanced and then “Wipe Dalvik Cache”.
- From the main menu, select “Install ZIP from SD Card” and choose the Hellfire Sandwich v1.1 ROM zip file.
- Once the file has finished flashing, select “Go Back”.
- Navigate to “Install ZIP from SD Card” again and this time, choose GApps.
- Once GApps has finished flashing, select “Go Back” and select “Reboot System Now.”
The first time you boot may take some time (about 10 minutes) so please be patient. Once your phone has booted, you can now enjoy the goodness of Ice Cream Sandwich on your LG G2X, thanks to the Hellfire Sandwich v1.1 ROM.