The 5 reasons One (M8) is better than the Galaxy S5, according to HTC
In a rare coincidence, HTC and Samsung are releasing their hero devices in the US almost at the same time. While HTC pulled off a quick release of the One M8, it was only available on Verizon initially, meaning that customers of AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint had to wait until yesterday to join in the fun. Meanwhile, Samsung is releasing the Galaxy S5 today across all US carriers, as well as in 124 other countries.
With these two beasts unleashed at the same time, we have a true deathmatch between the One (M8) and the Galaxy S5. Samsung has the superior spending power when it comes to marketing, but HTC isn’t standing still either.
According to alleged marketing training materials uncovered by HTC Source, HTC is betting on the following five features to convince buyers of the superiority of the M8.
1. Metal beats plastic – HTC specifically name calls Samsung for the plastic build of the Galaxy, contrasting it with the “stunning design” of the M8.
2. BoomSound – HTC touts the virtues of the M8’s speakers, and it’s easy to see why. BoomSound was loud and clear on the M7, and it’s even better on the new One M8.
3. Fast access – you can wake up the M8 by double tapping or swiping on the screen. The Galaxy S5 lacks this feature.
4. Duo Camera – the depth sensor on the back of the M8 lets it distinguish between foreground and background, allowing you to apply selective focus and other effects. The Galaxy S5 has a similar feature, though it’s not as powerful as the M8’s.
5. HTC Advantage – for the finale, HTC throws in Advantage, its extended warranty program that gives you a one-time screen replacement in the first six months of ownership, guaranteed 2-year Android upgrades, and more.
Here’s the doc (which could also be a promotional leaflet, from the looks of it) if you want to read it for yourself.
And, if you want a neutral take on M8 vs Galaxy S5, here’s our fresh comparison video.
So, what it’s gonna be? HTC One (M8) or Samsung Galaxy S5?