The past two days at Google I/O has been extravagant. We have seen a lot of updates and major changes to a ton of stuff – especially the Android Market. And, most recently, and not surprisingly, there has been remarkable growth in the market. Now, with over 200,000 apps supporting over 300 Android devices, there had been 4.5 billion apps installed to date. Because there is so many apps, Android fans have been wondering how they can find the ones they really want and the ones that are just right for them. But now, if you are looking for the most popular apps, hot new apps or just the very best apps available, you can already find what you are looking for in probably the easiest and most convenient way.
Here are the five new features of the Android Market that are focused on helping us – the Android fans – find new apps that we love the most:
- New top app charts – They’ve revamped their top app charts to be fresher and country-specific, so you get the most current, relevant results. They’ve also added top new free, top new paid, and top grossing lists, all right on the Android Market home page.
- Editors’ Choice – These are some of the very best apps available for Android, as chosen by the Android Market staff. They span everything from games to productivity and beyond.
- Top Developers – They’re also finally recognizing the developers that consistently create the highest quality, most popular, and most notable apps available on Android Market. They’ll get a special icon on our Android Market website, appearing wherever the developer name is shown, starting today for an initial set of over 150 developers.
- Better related apps – On the left side of an app page, you’ll now see two groups of related apps: apps frequently browsed by people who viewed this app, and apps that people tend to install alongside this app. For example, people who view ScoreMobile, my favorite sports score app, often also view other sports score apps, while those who install ScoreMobile tend to also install apps for specific sports leagues or teams. It will also show you related apps once you decide to install an app.
- Trending apps – Finally, they’ve added a new section to the Android Market homepage showing trending apps – those apps that are quickly growing in daily installs. Look here to stay ahead of the curve and find new apps as they get hot.
The Android Market is growing incredibly fast, and the more they improve it, the better. Everyone loves good quality apps, and it’s looking like they are going to be easier then ever to find. The changes are quite good, and simplify searching for apps in the Android Market.
Do you find these new changes helpful? It is now available on the Android Market and soon on phones and tablets. Are there any other changes you would make?