Quite a lot of ICS-based MIUI 4 custom ROMs for several devices have been released recently, and for sure a lot of people are rushing to get the updates for their devices. The frenzy is yet to end, and it’s the Samsung Fascinate’s turn to be filled with some Ice Cream Sandwich through MIUI 4, thanks to the XDA member weblexa.
The ROM is still a pre-alpha build, which means that a lot of kinks still need to be ironed out. Since it’s still an early build, it’s not yet very functional–for the meantime. According to the developer, the following are still not working as of the moment:
- Receiving phone calls
- Receiving SMS Text Messages
- 3G Data
- Some options in the settings menu force close
- Possibly other things
If you want to install this ROM on your Fascinate, complete the list of the things that you need below before you proceed to the instructions for the installation. Be sure not to miss out on anything.
- Root your Samsung Fascinate and make sure ClockworkMod Recovery is installed.
- Download Teamhacksung’s ICS Build 2 package from here.
- Download MIUI ICS v4 2.2.3 for the Samsung Fascinate from here.
- Make a back up of all the important files and data on your phone.
- Be sure that your phone’s battery is fully charged.
NOTE: Use this guide at your own risk. We shall not be liable for any damage to your phone arising from your use of this guide.
Here’s how to install MIUI 4 ICS on the Samsung Fascinate:
- Copy the MIUI ICS v4 and Teamhacksung ICS Build 2 files from your PC to the root of your phone’s external SD card.
- Turn off your phone, then reboot it into Recovery Mode.
- In Recovery, go to Backup & Restore, then choose Backup on the next screen.
- Still in Recovery, perform a full wipe.
- Select Wipe data/Factory reset and confirm the operation on the next screen.
- Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the operation on the next screen.
- Select Advanced from the main menu, then select Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the operation on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and choose Install zip from SD card then Choose zip from SD card and choose the teamhacksung-ota-eng.BUILD2.zip file (one of the files that you transferred from your PC).
- Confirm the installation. The flashing of the ROM will now start.
- Once the installation is complete, do steps 5 and 6 again, but this time select the other file “MIUI_fascinatemtd_v4_2.2.3_PRE-ALPHA1.zip ”.
- Once the flashing is complete, reboot your phone. Rebooting your device will take a few more minutes than usual. This is normal.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully upgraded your Samsung Fascinate to Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich via MIUI 4.