More and more devices get sweet treats from the developer community. This time around, the HTC Evo 4G LTE gets Jelly Bean goodies via the codefireX ROM. The HTC Evo 4G LTE, released just last year, had Ice Cream Sandwich onboard. And, while owners are waiting for official Jelly Bean updates for this device, custom ROMs have been rolling out, one of which is codefireX.
Based on CyanogenMod 10 (CM10), codefireX has its own settings panel where additional power-user features are provided. Being based on CM10, we can expect CM10 goodies plus Jelly Bean features, and codefireX extras mixed in.
Shared by XDA Developers member ZanzDroid, this ROM for the Evo 4G LTE sure is promising, but take note that it is still in its nightly stage. You can expect some bugs and issues with this ROM but given that it's a nighty ROM based on CM10, updates are sure to follow. More features will soon be added to the ROM's settings panel as well.
This guide shows you how to upgrade the Evo 4G LTE to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via codefireX custom ROM.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the HTC Evo 4G LTE. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- HTC Evo 4G LTE with TWRP Recovery installed.
- Download the following to your computer:
- Make sure your phone's battery is charged up to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the codefireX Jelly Bean ROM and the GApps package to your phone's internal SD card.
- Switch your phone off and boot into TWRP Recovery. To do this, press and hold down the Power and the Volume Down buttons until bootloader boots. Using the Volume keys, highlight Recovery and select it by tapping the Power button.
- Make a NANDroid Backup of your current ROM. To create a backup, tap on Backup and slide the blue circle found at the bottom to the right.
- Select Wipe, choose Factory Reset, and confirm the action on the next screen. Wait for the process to finish then go back to the main menu.
- Select Install and navigate to the codefireX ROM file. Confirm installation by sliding the blue circle. This will install the ROM on your phone.
- Once installation of the ROM is done, install the GApps package in the same manner as in step 5.
- After installation of GApps is finished, tap on the Reboot system button. This will reboot your phone to the newly installed codefireX ROM.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the codefireX ROM on your HTC Evo 4G LTE. How do you like the ROM so far? Anything worth looking forward to with this ROM? Let us know what you think by commenting below.