Early last month, HTC announced the list of HTC phones slated for upgrading to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) some time before March ends. The HTC Evo 4G isn’t on the list. Will it be getting official ICS from HTC? We’re not sure. Can you get ICS for your HTC Evo 4G unofficially? You bet!
RootzWiki developer deck has created a custom ROM of ICS for the HTC Evo 4G. Despite being an old phone (released in 2010), the Evo 4G does have enough muscle for ICS.
Deck’s AOSP-based custom ROM is still under active development and almost all functions work, although some bugs or force closes may be experienced. As of last checking, the developer has listed the following broken features: camera preview, gallery editing, and WiMAX.
If you want to have your first bite of Ice Cream Sandwich, read and follow our step-by-step guide on how to flash deck’s ICS ROM on your HTC EVO 4G.
- Download Deck’s ICS ROM here (ics-deck-evo-alpha7.zip, 101.46 MB)
- Download the GApps (Google Apps) package here (gapps.ics.02132012.zip, 27.07 MB)
- A rooted HTC EVO 4G with ClockworkMod Recovery installed. (For help with rooting, check this guide or this one.)
- Pump up your battery to at least 60% to make your device last throughout the entire procedure.
- Create a backup of your personal phone data.
- System tools such as antivirus software and firewall programs might interfere during the installation process. Disable such software before you flash the ROM.
- This custom ROM is currently in its alpha stage. Expect some bugs when you install this ROM.
- Follow this step-by-step guide at your own risk. We will not be held liable for any damage dealt by the use of this guide.
- This ROM is only compatible with the HTC EVO 4G. Installing this ROM on another device may cause damage.
- Get the ics-deck-evo-alpha7.zip and gapps.ics.02132012.zip files from the links provided above. Save both files to your computer.
- Hook up your HTC Evo 4G to the computer using a USB cable.
- Copy both ZIP files to the root of the phone’s external microSD card.
- Disconnect your mobile device from the computer.
- Switch off your mobile phone.
- Hold the Volume Down button and Power button until a menu appears.
- Using the Volume keys, highlight “Recovery” and tap the power button to select.
- Once in Recovery mode, select Backup and Restore > Backup, then confirm the action to create a backup of your current working ROM.
- Select “Wipe data/factory reset” and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select “install zip from sd card.”
- Select the “ics-deck-evo-alpha7.zip” file and confirm the action to flash the ROM on your mobile device.
- Once installation is complete, go back and reselect “install zip from sd card.”
- This time, select “apps.ics.02132012.zip” and confirm the action to install the Google applications on your mobile phone.
- Go back to the main menu and select “reboot system now” to restart your phone into the new Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich.
Hooray! You have successfully installed Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich on your HTC EVO 4G via the ics-deck-evo custom ROM. You can now experience the latest and sweetest Android right on your mobile phone.