If you own an HTC Evo 4G, can finally lift your head because Jelly Bean is landing on the device, too. This means that you can enjoy Jelly Bean's new features, such as the smoother interface, Google Now, a smarter keyboard, better accessibility, an improved actions menu and a lot more. This is all thanks to Android third-party developers Mazda and Team D.I.R.T.
Unfortunately, this unofficial AOKP Jelly Bean ROM is still a work in progress and has issues such as no Camera, no 4G, no Netflix, Hulu Plus or HBO, bootloops and a few other things. If you're not bothered by these issues and you'd still like to get this ROM on your HTC Evo 4G, keep reading for our requirements and instructions below.
Do take note, however: Though the developers mention using Smelkus' Amon-RA Custom Recovery, it seems that there was someone who managed to flash the Team D.I.R.T. unofficial AOKP Jelly Bean using ClockworkMod Recovery. We'll be using ClockworkMod Recovery in installing this ROM.
Read on to learn how to upgrade the HTC Evo 4G to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via AOKP-based Team D.I.R.T. custom ROM.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the HTC Evo 4G. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- HTC Evo 4G with S-Off, unlocked bootloader, and custom recovery (preferably ClockworkMod Recovery, although Amon-RA Recovery also works)
- Download the Team D.I.R.T. unofficial Jelly Bean AOKP ROM v1.4 to your computer (Team DIRT AOKP JB v1.4.zip, 163 MB).
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the Team D.I.R.T. unofficial Jelly Bean AOKP ROM v1.4 to your HTC Evo 4G's SD Card.
- Turn off your device.
- Boot into Recovery by pressing and holding down the Volume Down button and Power button until recovery boots.
- If it boots into HBOOT, wait until the menu appears and press Volume Down to highlight Recovery. Select it using the Power button.
- In Recovery, you can use the Volume buttons to navigate and the Power button to select
- Make a NANDroid backup. Select Backup & Restore and select Backup.
- Select Wipe Data/ Factory Reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Mounts and Storage then select Format /system.
- Select Install ZIP from SD Card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD Card and locate the Team D.I.R.T. unofficial Jelly Bean AOKP ROM v1.4.
- Select Go Back.
- Select Reboot System Now.
Congratulations! Your HTC Evo 4G is now running Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean, courtesy of the AOKP-based Jelly Bean ROM from Team D.I.R.T. Let us know what you think of the new features and improvements in a comment below.