Upgrade Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Galaxy S2) to ICS Firmware FB09
There are two factors that hinder Android users from tasting the sweetness of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich on their devices—the device model and the carriers’ discretion. Fortunately, Sprint is alert to the requests of consumers and soon an ICS update will be expected on their Epic 4G Touch (Galaxy S2).
Although the update has yet to arrive, ACSyndicate developer Shabbypenguin was able to get a leaked copy of build FB09 of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich destined for the Samsung Epic 4G Touch.
The developer has taken the liberty of packaging the update into a flashable ZIP file. What’s more is that the firmware is already rooted, deodexed, and tweaked, so interested users only need to flash it.
So, if you’re eager to get the latest ICS, jump right in and learn how to upgrade your Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Galaxy S2) to a prerooted build FB09 of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
Requirements and Warnings
- Download the FB09 update package from here (Stock_Rooted_Deodexed_FB09-2.zip, 311 MB)
- A rooted Epic 4G Touch with ClockworkMod Recovery installed on the device.
- Pump up your battery to at least 60% to make your device last through the entire procedure.
- Temporarily disable system tools such as Samsung KIES, antivirus software, and firewall programs. These may interfere or affect the outcome in installing the files on your device.
- The installation procedure will wipe out all the data/files on your device. Safely store all your files on your mobile phone’s SD card or create a backup before installing the ROM.
- This update package only works on Samsung Epic 4G Touch on Sprint. Be reminded that installing this ROM to another device may cause damage.
- Make sure you know what you are doing before following this guide. We will not be held responsible for any problem arising from your use of this installation guide.
- Get the FB09 update package from the link provided above and save it into your computer.
- Connect your Samsung Epic 4G Touch to the computer via USB cable.
- Copy the update package into root of the phone’s SD card.
- Unplug your device from the computer.
- Turn off your phone.
- Hold down the Volume Up key, Home key, and Power button simultaneously to restart your device into ClockworkMod Recovery. Release the buttons when you see the Galaxy S2 logo.
- In recovery mode, create a Nandroid backup of your current ROM. Select “Backup and Restore,” then click on “Backup”.
- Select “Wipe data/factory reset” and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select “Wipe Cache Partition” and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select “Advanced”. From there, select “Wipe Dalvik Cache” and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Return to the main menu and select “Install zip from sdcard.”
- Select “Choose zip from sdcard” and choose Stock_Rooted_Deodexed_FB09-2.zip.
- Confirm your action on the next screen to begin flashing the ROM on your phone.
- Go back to the main menu and select “Reboot System.”
- During the first boot, your phone will likely become unresponsive when it reaches the 4G screen. If so, just remove and reinsert the battery, then reboot into recovery mode.
- From the recovery menu, select “Wipe data/factory reset.”
- Reboot the phone.
- During the second reboot, the phone might again become unresponsive at the 4G screen. Again, remove and reinsert the battery, then turn the phone on.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich build FB09 on your Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Galaxy S2).