Upgrade Asus Transformer to Ice Cream Sandwich Via Cornerstone ROM
Though seemingly overshadowed by its more-powerful predecessor, there’s no stopping the Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 from getting more Ice Cream Sandwich love in the form of the CyanogenMod 9 (CM9) with Cornerstone custom ROM.
The new CM9 with Cornerstone ROM promises jampacked features of Ice Cream Sandwich with a slightly added flavor in the form of the Cornerstone Android modification integrated into the ROM.
Cornerstone is a great modification feature that lets users multitask, as it helps in switching between applications and closing the other before opening a new one. The Cornerstone modification utilizes the extra screen space found on many Android tablets to let users get a glimpse of 3 different applications running in the background by letting them switch between the running apps just by selecting them.
Since this ROM is based on CM9, the developer notes that all bugs from CM9 have been inherited by the ROM, except the issue with the Wi-Fi MAC address.
Read on to learn how to flash CyanogenMod 9 with Cornerstone custom ROM to your Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101.
- Rooted Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left.
- Backup of personal data on your tablet.
- Download the latest version (March 6 build, as of this writing) of the CM9 with Cornerstone ROM from here and save it to your PC.
- Download the GApps (Google Apps) package from here and save it to your PC. This package contains all the necessary Google applications like Market, Gmail, GTalk, etc. that is not currently bundled with the ROM.
- Connect your ASUS Transformer to your PC via USB cable.
- Copy the ZIP files into the root of the tablet’s SD card.
- Switch off your tablet.
- Reboot the tablet into ClockworkMod Recovery by holding down the Volume Down and Power buttons until the screen lights up. Then, when prompted, press the Volume Up button.
- Create a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM. To make a Nandroid backup, select “Backup and Restore” and on the next screen that follows select “Backup” again.
- Clean your device by performing the following:
- Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset” then confirm on the screen that follows.
- From the main menu, select “Advanced”, then select “Wipe Dalvik Cache” then confirm on the screen that follows.
- Select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Browse for the downloaded CM9 with Cornerstone ZIP file that you have copied to the tablet and select it to begin installation. Confirm the installation. It may take up to 5 to 10 minutes for the installation process to finish.
- Flash the GApps package in the same manner as the ROM package.
- Head back to the main menu and choose “reboot system now” to reboot your tablet.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed theAndroid 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich on your Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 through the CM9 with Cornerstone ROM.