The first Eee Pad Transformer TF101 from Asus, released a year ago, is still very much a mighty device despite the addition of newer devices to the Transformer line of tablets. The original Transformer came to the market with Android's tablet-dedicated OS, Android 3.0 Honeycomb, and has received custom ROMs, as well.
A Jelly Bean-based AOKP ROM has just been released for the device, much to the delight of Transformer owners. The ROM features an overload of goodness, both from Jelly Bean and AOKP, as well as a lot of custom tweaks on the ROM's interface.
This AOKP ROM is not an official ROM and has a few bugs with it. The dev reports that 3G is still broken, although that could get fixed in future updates. Dock functions work, though, as well as pretty much everything else.
To install the AOKP ROM on your Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101, follow the requirements and instructions below.
This guide shows you how to upgrade the Transformer TF101 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via the AOKP Jelly Bean ROM (unofficial).
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Eee Pad Transformer, model number TF101. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Your tablet's USB cable.
- Download the following files to your computer:
- AOKP Jelly Bean ROM package (full_tf101_unofficial_Sep-18-12.zip, md5sum: de75fc39087678e0ab4d9092900895d0)
- GApps (Google Apps) package (gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip, 83.1 MB, md5sum: f62cfe4a827202899919fd932d5246d7)
- Make sure your tablet's battery is charged up to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your tablet to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the AOKP Jelly Bean ROM package and the GApps package to your tablet's internal SD card.
- Switch your tablet off and boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, press and hold down the Volume Down and Power buttons together. Once you see words scrolling up in the top-left area of the screen, press the Volume Up button within five seconds. Your tablet will then enter recovery.
- Make a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. To create a backup, go to Backup and Restore and select Backup.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen. Wait for the process to finish.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD card and navigate to the AOKP ROM ZIP file. Select the file and confirm the action on the next screen to start installing the ROM on your tablet.
- Once installation of the ROM is done, install the GApps package in the same manner as in steps 5 and 6.
- After installation of GApps is complete, select Go back and select Reboot system now. This will reboot your tablet to the newly installed AOKP ROM.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the AOKP Jelly Bean ROM on your Eee Pad Transformer TF101. How is the ROM working so far?