The Ice Cream Sandwich craze doesn’t seem to be slowing down, and in the case of the Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF201, more and more ROMs based on Android’s frozen treat are being ported to the device.
One famous ROM released for the device is the AOKP (Android Open Kang Project) RC1 ROM based on Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich. XDA Developers member jermaine151 cooked up this ROM based on Milestone 4 of TeamKang’s AOKP ROM and added a few Asus apps and widgets such as SuperNote, MyWater live wallpaper, weather widget, battery widget, email widget, and email client.
However, don’t expect this ROM to be free of bugs, as it still contains a few. But, rest assured that those issues will be addressed in updated versions of the ROM.
Known issues in the AOKP RC1 ROM for the Transformer Prime include the following:
- some issues with Bluetooth (especially tethering)
- some apps in Google Play Store are not shown or are marked as incompatible
- some dock keyboard quick keys (e.g., Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Brightness) don’t work
- Asus battery widget is needed for viewing dock battery level
If you’re excited by the new features that the AOKP RC1 ROM for the Transformer Prime has to offer, read on to learn how you can install the AOKP ROM on your ASUS Transformer Prime.
- A rooted and unlocked bootloader of the Transformer Prime TF201 with ClockworkMod Recovery (at least version 22.214.171.124) installed.
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left.
- Backup of your personal data and files.
NOTE: Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not be responsible for whatever damage happens on your phone or to you because of your use of this guide.
- Download the latest version of AOKP RC1 from here or here (aokp_tf201-ota-eng.jay.zip, md5sum: fb9817350fe12300805b54ac6339b0bf) and save it to your PC.
- Download the GApps (Google Apps) package from here (gapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip, md5sum: dc560aa235e8dd8cb00df0cefb5abd38) and save it to your PC. The package contains all the necessary Google apps like Android Market and Gmail that are not originally present in the AOKP ROM by default.
- Connect your Transformer Prime to your PC via USB cable.
- Copy the downloaded ZIP files to the root of your tablet’s SD card.
- Disconnect your tablet from your PC.
- Switch off your tablet.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery, as follows: press and hold both Volume Down and Power buttons. When you see words scrolling at the top left of the tablet, immediately push Volume Up within 5 seconds.
- Once inside recovery, create a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM. Doing so will enable you to restore from recovery if something fatal should happen to your tablet. To perform a backup, select “Backup and Restore” then select “Backup” again on the screen that follows.
- Select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on the screen that follows to confirm the data wipe. This procedure will not wipe your SD card.
- Select “choose zip from sdcard” then browse for the AOKP RC1 ZIP file and select it. Confirm the installation by selecting “Yes” on the screen that follows. Repeat this same step for installing the Google Apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the AOKP RC1 ROM based on Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich on your Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF201.