With the official Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade already made available for the Transformer Prime, it seems that some users still prefer CyanogenMod 9 (CM9) over the stock and official versions. After the official ICS launch, Asus made a complete package by rolling out not just an upgrade but also the release of the tablet’s bootloader unlocking tool. It only took a short time for developers to cook up a CyanogenMod 9 release specifically designed for the Transformer Prime.
The CM9 ROM for the Transformer Prime is currently in its beta stage but expect to see some updates that will soon be released in the form of nightlies. Expect to see some minor bugs and disabled features, but those will be fixed as time goes by.
If you still prefer to power up your Transformer Prime with CM9 rather than Asus’s official build, then continue reading to know how you can install CyanogenMod 9 on the Asus Transformer Prime.
- Asus Transformer Prime, rooted, with unlocked bootloader, and with Clockworkmod Recovery installed
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left.
- Create a nandroid backup as this tutorial will wipe out all of your apps and important data that includes contacts, SMS, Internet settings, etc.
- Download the most recent nightly build of the CyanogenMod 9 ROM for the Transformer Prime here and save it on your PC.
- Download the Google Apps package from here and save it to your computer. The package contains all the necessary Google apps like Android Market and Gmail that are not originally present in the CyanogenMod 9 ROM.
- Connect your tablet to your PC via USB cable.
- Copy the two downloaded ZIP files to the root of your tablet’s external SD card.
- Switch off your tablet and reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Once inside ClockworkMod Recovery, perform a full wipe:
- Select “wipe data/ factory reset”, then choose “Yes” on the screen that follows to confirm the data wipe.
- Select “Advanced”, then choose “wipe dalvik cache”, then select “Yes” on the screen that follows to confirm wiping your tablet’s dalvik cache.
- Select “go back” to go back to the main recovery options.
- Select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Browse for the downloaded CM9 ZIP file that you have copied to the tablet earlier and select it. Confirm the installation by selecting “Yes”. The CM9 ROM will now be flashed to your phone. It may take 5-10 minutes for the installation process to finish.
- Repeat the previous step, but this time choose the Google apps package file.
- After the installation is done, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot your tablet.
Congratulations! You successfully installed Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich on your Asus Transformer Prime, courtesy of the leaner and meaner CyanogenMod 9 for the Asus Transformer Prime.