The ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime got a turbo boost with the new official release of firmware 18.104.22.168, bringing the treats of Ice Cream Sandwich along with a few system performance improvements.
XDA Developers member Turge has found an improvised method for flashing the update on the global variants of the Transformer Prime. This step-by-step guide will teach you how to give your device a turbo boost with the U.S.-only firmware 22.214.171.124 for the Transformer Prime.
Notes and Requirements
- Your device may not be able to receive over-the-air updates when SKU is switched. You may opt to go back to a default SKU once an official update arrives.
- Create a backup of your personal phone data, just to be safe.
- OTA RootKeeper may be unable to keep your root access after you upgrade to 126.96.36.199 firmware.
- Disable system tools such as antivirus and firewall programs to avoid any interference while flashing the updates.
- Avoid using Titanium Backup to restore system data, especially when switching between Android versions.
- When going back to earlier versions of ICS, the Launcher app will face force close errors, requiring you to wipe its data in the Apps menu.
- Keep your battery power to at least 60% power or more to keep your device running throughout the entire procedure.
- You will be needing a rooted ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime to flash the updates. Check out our one click rooting guide here.
- You will also need ADB. Install the Android Software Development Kit (SDK) to get ADB support.
- Install Android Terminal Emulator on your tablet.
- Follow our step-by-step guide at your own risk. We will not be held liable for any damage arising from the use of this guide.
- Download the 188.8.131.52 update file from here or here (US_epaduser9_4_2_14UpdateLauncher.zip, 314 MB).
- Extract the downloaded file once. You will get another ZIP file named US_epad-user-184.108.40.206.zip.
- Extract the contents of US_epad-user-220.127.116.11.zip. You will get one file called “blob”. This is the file you will be using in the rest of the instructions.
- Use your USB cable to connect your ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime to the computer.
- Copy the “blob” file into the root of your tablet’s removable microSD card.
- Open the Android Terminal Emulator app on your tablet.
- In the Terminal Emulator screen, type “su” (without the quotation marks) and press Enter. This will allow root access to Terminal Emulator.
- Type the command “dd if=/Removable/MicroSD/blob of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4” (again, without the quotation marks) and press Enter. The command will take about 5 to 20 minutes to finish.
- Reboot your device when the following is displayed in the app:
- 1068769+1 records in
- 1068769+1 records out
- 547210197 bytes transferred in 153.991 secs (3553520 bytes/sec)
- As soon as the tablet is rebooted, the update process will automatically kick in.
- When the update completes, your tablet will have also lost root access. So, you need to re-root it. See here for a guide on how to root the Transformer Prime after applying the update, or here for an alternate method.
Hooray! You have successfully boosted your Transformer Prime’s power by flashing the U.S. firmware 18.104.22.168 update.