MIUI 4 ROMs remain popular these days, especially with new supported devices being added to the list. Thanks to the brilliant guys at XDA Developers, users of the Motorola Droid RAZR XT912 and the Motorola RAZR XT910 can now experience Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) via unofficial MIUI 4 for the said Motorola handsets.
The new unofficial MIUI 4 ROM for the RAZR promises tons of exciting features that are not present in other ICS-based ROMs. For starters, MIUI features a beautiful user interface, extensive customization on themes, and full control of customization with regards to the homescreen and interface.
The ROM is made available for both the GSM and CDMA versions of the RAZR. The ROM is currently in its alpha stage, so it is not yet completely stable for daily use. Among the current bugs/issues noted by the developer are the following:
- Front-facing Camera
- External SD card doesn’t mount
- Data doesn’t come on by itself
- When downloading anything your phone will warn you about downloading using your data connection
- Wallpapers don’t scroll
This guide is intended only for the Motorola Droid RAZR XT912 (CDMA) and the Motorola RAZR XT910 (GSM) running Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread. To check your phone’s model go to “Settings > About Phone”.
- Rooted Motorola (Droid) RAZR GSM/CDMA with Bootstrap Recovery installed. Check out our guide for rooting the Motorola Droid RAZR or the Motorola RAZR.
- Your phone must be running on Android 2.3.6 firmware. Otherwise, you may experience boot loops while using your phone’s Bluetooth capabilities.
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left
- Backup of your personal information on your phone
- Download the latest MIUI 4 ROM depending on your phone:
- Connect your phone to your PC via USB cable.
- Copy the downloaded ZIP file to your phone’s internal SD card (not microSD).
- Boot into Bootstrap Recovery. You can do this by launching the “System Recovery” application on your phone. Select the “Recovery Mode” button to boot your phone into recovery.
- Disconnect your phone from your PC.
- Once inside Bootstrap Recovery, wipe your phone data, as follows:
- Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset” then confirm on the screen that follows.
- From the main menu, select “Advanced”, then select “Wipe Dalvik Cache” then confirm on the screen that follows.
- Select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Browse for the downloaded ZIP file that you have copied earlier and select it.
- Confirm the installation by selecting “Yes” to start flashing the ROM. It may take 5-10 minutes for the installation process to finish.
- After the installation is complete, select “Go back” and select “reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich on your Motorola Droid RAZR XT912 or Motorola RAZR XT910 through the MIUI 4 custom ROM.