While everybody is so busy trying to make the perfect Ice Cream Sandwich custom ROM for various devices, some of the guys from the Android community just recently released an enhanced Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread custom ROM for the Motorola Droid Razr.
The firmware offers some enhancements to the LTE radio of the device, updates the Moto Car Finder app, and even includes some enhancements for the Moto Blur UI. This update is a case of taking matters into our own hands, since Motorola is not really doing very well in sending new updates.
The Droid Razr is such an amazing Android smartphone. With a thin form factor, Kevlar back cover, powerful hardware–you name it, the Droid Razr has it. But then again, no matter how good the device is, there’s always room for improvement, right? This update that we just recently got hold of is a timely one. The enhancements might not be that many but with those mentioned, this custom ROM will definitely be worth a try.
If you currently own a Motorola Droid Razr and would like to take advantage of those aforementioned enhancements, just continue reading for the step-by-step guide for installing the enhanced Gingerbread firmware into your device.
And, in case you were wondering–the process does not require you to root the device.
- This update is not an official one from Motorola. There might be some components of this custom ROM that will not be compatible with future Motorola official updates.
- Read all the steps first before doing anything with the device. This will give you a heads up on what will happen next.
- A windows PC with access to the Internet
- USB data cable for the device
- Backup all your data.
- The device has to be fully charged.
- Enable USB Debugging on the device. You can do this by going tostyle=”font-style: italic;”>Settings > Applications > Development.
- Download the enhanced Gingerbread 2.3.6 custom ROM from here.
- Connect the phone to the PC.
- Copy the downloaded file into the root directory of the device’s SD card.
- Disconnect the device from the PC.
- Turn off the device.
- Boot the device into recovery mode by holding down the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons together with the Power button.
- Choose “Install Zip from SD card” from the menu and then go to “Choose zip from SD card”.
- Select the Zip file that you copied to the SD card earlier. This will start the installation process which will take around 10 minutes.
- Go back to the main menu and then choose “Reboot system now”.
- Disable USB Debugging on your phone.
You now have an updated Motorola Droid Razr with the enhanced Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread firmware. The device can already take advantage of all the enhancements that come with the custom ROM.