An expandable external storage is really an advantage if you need more storage space on your Android phone or tablet. However, having both internal and external storage can be a problem, as well, since some Android apps are not programmed to read data on external SD cards. Rather, such apps treat the internal storage as also the external storage; thus, such apps are unable to access the files you’ve stored on your external microSD card.
MIUI-based ROMs often exhibit such a limitation. Some MIUI-based ROMs actually are blind to files (such as music files) on the microSD card, so those files don’t show in the MIUI File Manager at all.
But, here’s some good news for owners of the Motorola Droid Razr (XT912) and the Motorola Razr (XT910). XDA Developers member pajn has come up with a script/modification that enables the Motorola phone to mount the external microSD card as its internal storage (in which case, the internal storage will be mounted as the external storage).
A caveat, though: the script has been tested only on a Motorola Razr XT910, although it is presumed to work on the Motorola Droid Razr XT912, as well. Also, the script has been tested only on a device running MIUI 4, but the developer notes that the script should work on most custom ROMs, if not all.
If you want to install this script, check the requirements first and then proceed to the instructions. We will also teach you how to revert to normal if you feel like doing so.
Here are some requirements before you can install this script on your Motorola (Droid) Razr:
- Motorola Razr XT910 or Motorola Droid Razr with a custom ROM (preferably MIUI 4) and custom recovery (preferably ClockworkMod Recovery). Want MIUI 4 on your Razr? See our guide on how to flash MIUI 4 Ice Cream Sandwich on Motorola Droid Razr XT912 and Razr XT910.
- An external microSD card in your Razr
- The scripts (download both and save them to your computer):
NOTE: Use this guide at your own risk. We will not be held liable for any damage on your device as a result of using this guide.
- Copy both switchSD.zip and reswitchSD.zip to your phone’s internal SD card.
- Reboot your phone into custom recovery. The manner for doing this will depend on the custom recovery you’ve installed on your phone.
- From the recovery menu, select “Install zip from sdcard.”
- Select “Choose zip from sdcard.”
- Select either switchSD.zip (if you’re mounting the microSD as internal storage) or reswitchSD.zip (if you’re reverting; that is, mounting the internal storage as internal storage).
- Confirm that you want to flash the ZIP file.
- Reboot your phone.
Congratulations! You’ve enabled your Motorola Droid Razr XT912 or Motorola Razr XT910 to mount the microSD card as the internal storage and vice-versa.