Upgrade Droid Razr to Stock Ice Cream Sandwich via IC3RAZR Alpha
Ice Cream Sandwich just seems to love the Motorola Droid Razr. Recently the device has received an Ice Cream Sandwich leak found to be running with the Motoblur user interface but now the Droid Razr has a new surprise. An AOSP ROM based on CyanogenMod 9 by RootzWiki member dhacker29 has just fallen into the Droid Razr’s lap.
Dubbed IC3RAZR, this ROM is based on Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich and is currently in its alpha stage. Understandably, there are still a few bugs that need working on, such as:
- USB Mass Storage mounting
- GTalk camera issues
- Market loads but unfortunately cannot install apps
Everything else, however, like SMS, GPS, Bluetooth, audio and data, seem to be working just fine. The ROM is not quite stable for daily use, but progress is being made on bringing it up to a fully functional level.
If you’d love to get the IC3RAZR on your device today, and you aren’t going to let a few snags stop you. You’ll need a few things:
- A rooted Motorola Droid Razr with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Make sure that your phone is fully charged, to prevent it from shutting off in the middle of the update process.
- Make a backup of all the important information and data on your phone, as these may be lost or corrupted during the update process.
- Make sure that you’ve got USB Debugging enabled on your device. You may check through “Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging”.
- Download the IC3RAZR Alpha ROM.
Instructions for Installing
Once you have all of the requirements, you may now proceed to installing IC3RAZR onto your Motorola Droid Razr:
- Download the IC3RAZR Alpha ROM to your computer. The ROM is packaged as a ZIP file.
- Copy the ZIP file to the root of your device’s external SD card.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot into recovery.
- Make a Nandroid backup.
- Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”.
- Select “Wipe Cache”.
- Select “Wipe Dalvik Cache” from the Advanced menu.
- Navigate to “Install Zip from SD Card”.
- Select the IC3RAZR Alpha ZIP file. Confirm that you want to start flashing the file.
- Once the file has finished flashing, select “Go Back”.
- Select “Reboot System Now”.
Once your Motorola Droid Razr has rebooted, it’ll now be running on Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich courtesy of IC3RAZR Alpha ROM. Congratulations and enjoy!