You can apply an unlimited number of customizations to your Android phone, but before you can try any of them out, you'll need to root your phone. Back in the old days, when the Android community was small and things were new, the rooting process was often difficult, but nowadays, rooting can be as easy as one click.
That's exactly what it takes to root your Verizon Motorola Droid RAZR HD XT926 or your Motorola RAZR HD XT925, thanks to XDA Developers member TruEastSydeBoi. The method is quick and easy to do, and the best part is that it doesn't require an unlocked bootloader.
In case you run into some problems and you need to return your phone to the store, we've also provided easy instructions to unroot your phone and keep your warranty. Both the rooting and unrooting processes are easy, so don't waste any time with a chained Android device.
This guide shows you how to root or unroot the Droid RAZR HD XT925 / XT926.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Motorola RAZR HD, model number XT925, and the Verizon Droid RAZR HD, model number XT926. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A Motorola RAZR HD XT925 or a Verizon Motorola Droid RAZR HD XT926 running Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
- Enable USB debugging on your phone. Go to Settings > Developer options and tick the USB debugging option.
- A Windows PC
- Download and install the Motorola Drivers (MotorolaDeviceManager_2.3.4.exe, 31.5 MB) on your computer.
- Download the Motorola rooting file (motofail2go_windows.zip, 2.2 MB) to your computer.
- Make sure your device's battery still has at least 70% power. You don't want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
Rooting the Motorola Droid RAZR HD and RAZR HD
- Connect your phone to your computer via USB cable.
- Windows should detect your phone.
- If it does not, try to re-install the drivers.
- Extract the motofail2go_windows.zip file to your computer.
- Open the folder you extracted and run the Run.bat file as Administrator.
- Right-click on the file and select Run as administrator.
- Just follow the on-screen instructions. Your phone will automatically reboot when it's done.
- Unplug your phone from your computer.
Unrooting the Motorola Droid RAZR HD and RAZR HD
- Download a root file manager app to your phone, such as Root Explorer.
- Open Root Explorer and mount /system as read-write via the “Mount R/W” button.
- Delete the following files:
Nicely done! You have just rooted (or unrooted) your Verizon Motorola Droid RAZR HD XT926 or your Motorola RAZR HD XT925.