The HTC Droid Incredible 2 surely lived up to its name as one incredible device. And, it will continue to be incredible with the unofficial CyanogenMod 9 that has been released for the phone.
While phone manufacturers are too slow in releasing updates for their older devices, independent developers are blazing fast in porting ICS to many devices–including the HTC Droid Incredible 2. Thanks to XDA Developers member aeroevan, you can now flash Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) on your HTC Droid Incredible 2 via CyanogenMod 9.
Still in relative infancy, the CyanogenMod 9 ROM for the HTC Droid Incredible 2 still has non-working features, such as the camcorder, LED flash, and Face Unlock (may work after the front-facing camera is used in the Camera app). Users have also reported issues with downloading from Google Play Store.
Check out the rest of this guide for the steps for flashing unofficial CyanogenMod 9 on your HTC Droid Incredible 2.
- Rooted HTC Droid Incredible 2 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed. See our guide for rooting the HTC Droid Incredible 2.
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left.
- Backup of your personal files and important data.
- Download the latest version of CyanogenMod 9 for the Droid Incredible 2 from here (update-cm-9.0.0-RC0-vivow-KANG-2012-03-28-signed.zip, md5sum: 468a8bbe476124754ed8cd2465f686c4) and save it to your PC.
- Download the latest GApps (Google Apps) package from here (gapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip, md5sum: dc560aa235e8dd8cb00df0cefb5abd38) and save it to your PC. This package contains all the essential applications such as Market, Gtalk, Gmail, etc., which are not currently present in the ROM by default.
- Connect your HTC Droid Incredible 2 to your PC via USB cable.
- Copy the downloaded ZIP files to the root of your phone’s internal SD card.
- Disconnect your phone from your PC.
- Switch off your phone.
- Boot the phone into ClockworkMod Recovery by pressing the Volume Down and Power buttons together until you see the recovery screen.
- Once inside recovery, create a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM. If anything should not work out something expected on this ROM, you can easily revert back to your current state. Perform a backup by selecting “Backup and Restore”, and on the screen that follows select “Backup” again.
- Return to main recovery menu.
- Clean your phone data, as follows:
- Select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on the screen that follows to confirm the data wipe.
- Select “mounts and storage”, then select “format system”. Confirm the formatting by selecting “Yes” on the screen that follows.
- Still in the “mounts and storage” menu, select “mount /system.” The menu item should now show “unmount /system”. If you’re already seeing “unmount /system”, you don’t need to do anything.
- Return to main recovery menu.
- Select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Browse for the CyanogenMod 9 package and select it. Confirm the installation by selecting “Yes” on the screen that follows. The ROM should start installing. It may take 5-10 minutes for the installation process to finish. Install the GApps (Google Apps) package in the same manner.
- Select “Go back” to head back to the main recovery menu.
- Select “Reboot System Now” to reboot your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich on your HTC Droid Incredible 2 through the unofficial CyanogenMod 9 ROM for the said device.