Enjoy 2013 by customizing your HTC Droid DNA. Start by unlocking your phone's bootloader and flashing custom recovery on your phone. To help you get started, flash TeamWin's famous touch recovery, the TWRP Recovery. This custom recovery's latest version is 2.4.0 beta, which was released less than a month ago by XDA Developers member Dees_Troy.
TWRP Recovery 2.4.0 beta uses libtar instead of BusyBox to personalize TWRP for the Droid DNA and lessen the instances of crashing. Since the recovery version is still in its beta phase, bugs such as File Manager freezing after deleting or moving a folder are being investigated and worked on. In addition, the TWRP was created with an undersized theme however, XDA Developers member MyComputerDoctor has a quick solution for that. Regardless of these beta bugs, TeamWin has proven over time that flashing custom ROMs, kernels, and mods become easier with TWRP Recovery.
This guide shows you how to flash TWRP Recovery for the Droid DNA.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the HTC Droid DNA. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- An HTC Droid DNA with an unlocked bootloader. See our guide on how to unlock the bootloader of the HTC Droid DNA.
- A Windows PC
- Handset USB drivers installed on the PC. You may install the drivers by installing HTC Sync.
- Enable USB debugging on your handset.
- Disable antivirus, firewall, and other security software. Also disable HTC Sync and other software that accesses your phone. Such software can interfere with the procedure in this guide.
- Download the following files:
- Fastboot (fastboot.zip, 172.94 kB)
- TWRP 2.4.0 beta (openrecovery-twrp-188.8.131.52beta-dlx.img, md5sum: 5e66e483ac97b15e328eca98d048a886)
- FactoryROM (FactoryROM_TWRP_DNA_ui.zip, md5sum: d650644c9d8e314fcb7a8a645f4c35b5) to resize the TWRP theme.
- Make sure your device's battery still has at least 70% power. You don't want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Extract Fastboot.zip to your computer. You will get a folder named Fastboot.
- Rename openrecovery-twrp-184.108.40.206beta-dlx.img into recovery.img.
- Copy recovery.img to the Fastboot folder.
- Turn your phone off.
- Boot the phone into Fastboot Mode, as follows: Press the Power button and press and hold down the Volume Down key to enter Bootloader Mode. From here, scroll to the Fastboot option using your phone's Volume keys and select the option by using the Power button.
- Connect your phone to your PC via USB cable.
- Launch a command prompt on your PC and navigate to the Fastboot folder.
fastboot devices to check if your device has been successfully connected to your PC.
- Flash the recovery image by typing
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img at the command prompt.
- Type in
fastboot reboot to reboot your phone.
Installing Theme Resolution Fix
- On your PC, rename FactoryROM_TWRP_DNA_ui.zip to ui.zip.
- Turn your phone off.
- Boot your phone into Bootloader Mode and select Recovery to boot into TWRP Recovery. This will create a TWRP directory in your SD card.
- Reboot your phone to Normal Mode.
- Open the TWRP folder on your phone's SD card and create a sub-folder called theme.
- Copy ui.zip into the theme subfolder of the TWRP folder.
- Turn your phone off.
- Check whether the theme has been successfully installed by rebooting your phone to TWRP Recovery.
Congratulations! You have successfully flashed TWRP Recovery 2.4.0 beta on your HTC Droid DNA. Enjoy flashing custom ROMs with ease.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.