Stalking the XDA Forums can be a challenge especially if you’re a flash junkie. You’ll find that there may be too many ROMs that you like with some features you don’t need. Even choosing the right kernel for your system isn’t a walk in the park. If you’re happy with your stock ROM, custom kernels will definitely help you pimp your phone’s performance. A great kernel to start with is XDA Developers member dsb9938′s Droid DNA Cubed Kernel for the HTC Droid DNA.
dsb9938 has included the SIO I/O Scheduler, Linaro 4.7 GCC Toolchain, -O3 Build, SLQB, the awesome Sweep2Wake function, SYSFS to thermald, GPU Overclocking, and more. Swap and charging from unknown sources have also been enabled. This kernel has been recently updated to version 2.4.2, which includes fixes and tweaks that should give you a more stable Droid DNA experience.
This guide shows you how to flash Droid DNA Cubed Kernel for the Droid DNA.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the HTC Droid DNA. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- An HTC Droid DNA with an unlocked bootloader with custom recovery installed.
- A Windows PC
- Handset USB drivers installed on the PC. You may install the drivers by installing HTC Sync.
- Enable USB debugging on your handset.
- Disable antivirus, firewall, and other security software. Also disable HTC Sync and other software that accesses your phone. Such software can interfere with the procedure in this guide.
- Download the following to your PC:
- Make sure your device’s battery still has at least 70% power. You don’t want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Extract Fastboot.zip and Cubed.DNA.Kernel.2.4.2.zip to your computer.
- Copy the boot.img file (extracted from Cubed.DNA.Kernel.2.4.2.zip) into the Fastboot folder.
- Copy the Modules ZIP file from the Cubed DNA Kernel folder to your phone’s SD card.
- Turn your phone off.
- Boot the phone into Fastboot Mode, as follows: Press the Power button and hold down the Volume Down key to enter Bootloader Mode. From here, scroll to the Fastboot option using your phone’s Volume keys and select the option by using the Power button.
- Connect your phone to your PC via USB cable.
- Launch a command prompt on your PC and navigate to where the Fastboot folder is located.
- Verify that your PC can communicate with your phone by entering the following at the command prompt:
- Flash the boot image file by entering the following at the command prompt:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Once done, go back to the main bootloader menu and select Recovery to boot into TWRP Recovery.
- Disconnect your phone from the PC.
- On the main recovery menu, select Install.
- Locate and select the Modules ZIP file and swipe to flash.
- Select Reboot System once flashing is done.
Hurrah! You have flashed the Droid DNA Cubed Kernel on your HTC Droid DNA.