After months, or even weeks, of the HTC Droid DNA's being trapped with a nearly impenetrable locked bootloader, our beloved developers have finally given us the mana from the Android forums. Thanks to all the talented developers, we can now flash custom ROMs on our HTC Droid DNA ADR6435! Even with the stubborn S-ON, our developers' determination is iron-clad. Here's a ROM that will work around this issue and reward your exploit efforts.
The MikMik team features one of the most customizable ROMs on the Droid DNA forums, the CODIS ROM, version 1.0.0. This ROM is based on the RUU for software version 1.15.605.4 (Android 4.1.1 with HTC Sense 4+). The ROM is deodexed and comes with a rooted stock kernel. An Advanced Power Menu reboot option, Beats Audio, Google Apps, and AROMA installer come with the package. With the CODIS ROM, you have the option of going Sense-less or you can mix and match the features that you want via AROMA Installer. So far, no major bugs have been reported for this ROM. The CODIS ROM runs very smoothly and is a pretty stable piece of art that you can enjoy.
This guide shows you how to flash CODIS ROM for the Droid DNA.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the HTC Droid DNA. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- An HTC Droid DNA with an unlocked bootloader and with TWRP Recovery installed.
- Android Debug Bridge (ADB) installed on your computer. You can get it by installing Android Software Development Kit (SDK) on your computer.
- A Windows PC
- Handset USB drivers installed on the PC. You may install the drivers by installing HTC Sync.
- Enable USB debugging on your handset.
- Disable antivirus, firewall, and other security software. Also disable HTC Sync and other software that accesses your phone. Such software can interfere with the procedure in this guide.
- Download the CODIS v1.1.0 ROM (CODIS_v1.1.0-signed_dlx.zip, md5sum: 13ee5519fbb8e065eb023e237d60a77a) to your computer.
- Make sure your device's battery still has at least 70% power. You don't want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your handset to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Extract boot.img from the CODIS_v1.1.0-signed_dlx.zip file.
- Copy the ROM file to your phone's SD card.
- Connect your phone to your computer via USB cable. Make sure your phone is turned on.
- On the computer, launch a command prompt.
- Enter the command
adb devices to check if your phone has connected to the computer. Your phone's serial number will appear on the screen.
- On the computer, enter
adb reboot bootloader at the command prompt. This will boot your phone to Bootloader Mode.
- On the Bootloader menu, select Fastboot to boot into Fastboot Mode.
- Go back to the command prompt and navigate it to where you placed the boot.img file.
fastboot flash boot boot.img at the command prompt.
- On your phone, go back to the main bootloader menu and select Recovery using the Volume keys and select this option by using the Power button. This will boot you to TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe > Factory Reset and swipe to wipe.
- Select Back > Dalvik Cache and swipe to wipe
- Select Back > Cache and swipe to wipe
- Go back to the main menu and select Install.
- Locate and select the CODIS ROM file and swipe to flash.
- You will be directed to the AROMA Installer. From here, you can cherry-pick the features you want on your phone.
- Once you're done, reboot your phone.
Congratulations! You have flashed the CODIS Sense ROM by MikRoms on your HTC Droid DNA. Let us know how you find the ROM by leaving a comment.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.