Owners of the Motorola Droid 3 on the Verizon network may already have known of the leaked OTA updates rolling out over at XDA Developers. Initial tests proved that the OTA update is stable for daily use and is already bundled with numerous fixes for bugs found on earlier firmware versions of the Droid 3.
Just like any other official update, flashing the leak OTA 5.7.905 update will eventually remove your root privileges. Thanks to XDA Developers member hashcode, rooting the Motorola Droid 3 is possible using the Droid 4 exploit.
Fellow XDA Developers member ZOMBI3 has taken the update to the next level by creating a debloated, deodexed, and pre-rooted version of the OTA 5.7.905 update, packaged in the familiar ZIP file that can easily be flashed using ClockworkMod Recovery on the Droid 3.
So, if you’re planning on upgrading to the latest firmware update from Verizon, then continue reading to know how you can flash the leaked OTA 5.7.905 update on your Motorola Droid 3.
Known features of the original 5.7.905 update include:
- Increased camera stability
- MotoBlur speed is increased
- Better battery life
- Faster speeds due to new baseband
- CMAS (Commercial Mobile Alert Service) capability added
- Google+ added as bloatware
- AmazonMP3 added as optional install for bloatware, is listed under /system/apps folder
- Newer icons for certain applications
This guide is intended specifically for the Verizon Motorola Droid 3. It is not compatible with any other device and may cause irreversible damage. You can check your device’s model by heading to “Settings > About Phone.”
- Rooted Verizon Motorola Droid 3 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left on the device
- Download the modified 5.7.905 update here and save it to your PC.
- Connect your phone to your PC via USB cable.
- Copy the contents of the downloaded zip and place it on the root of your device’s SD card.
- Disconnect your device from your PC.
- Turn off your phone and reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Once inside ClockworkMod Recovery, perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM so that you can always have a restore point if something should happen when installing or trying out this ROM. You can perform a backup in ClockworkMod by selecting “Backup and Restore” then select “Backup”.
- Perform a full wipe on your device.
- Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset” then select “Wipe Data/Factory reset” on the screen that follows.
- Select “Wipe Cache Partition” then confirm the wipe cache partition on the screen that follows.
- From the main menu, select “Advanced”, then select “Wipe Dalvik Cache” then confirm Wipe Dalvik cache on the screen that follows.
- After the cleaning process is through, select “Install zip from SD card.”
- Select “Choose zip from SD card”, and browse for the downloaded file that you have transferred and select it.
- Confirm the installation by selecting “Yes – Install “DROID3DEODEXEDDEBLOATED 5.7.905.zip”. It may take 5-10 minutes for the installation process to finish.
- After the installation is complete, select “Go back” then select “Reboot system now” to reboot your device.
Congratulations! You successfully flashed the latest rooted firmware update on your Verizon Motorola Droid 3.
Paul and I.T. are synonyms. If you need help with I.T.-related stuff, call on Paul. His experience with Android phones goes way back to the ancient single-core-phone days. But, he keeps himself up to date, so now he has a dual-core beast in his pocket, and is looking forward to getting his first quad-core monster, and when it comes, his first eight-core phone. Perhaps he should be called Mr. X-Core, where "X" equals the number of CPU cores.