The Motorola Droid 2 is making some commotion these days, as more developers are showing signs of interest in crafting Ice Cream Sandwich ROMs for the device. You might already have heard of AOKP (Android Open Kang Project) ROMs. For those of you who haven’t heard of it yet, it is one of the famous custom ROMs gaining popularity these days, next to CyanogenMod ROMs.
AOKP ROMs have been making their way to many devices, one of which is the Motorola Droid 2. What makes AOKP flexible is that it is officially opensource and developers can use it to make their own ICS ROMs on any device they wish.
Developed by XDA-Member Albinoman, the AOKP ROM for the Motorola Droid 2 is purely based on AOKP ROM build 28. This ROM for this Motorola phone is still in its early development stages and don’t be surprised if you find out some issues still present in the ROM, including the following:
- Led notification changes
- Charge only mode
Excited on getting Ice Cream Sandwich on your device? Continue reading the rest of this guide to learn how you can install AOKP ROM build 28 on your Motorola Droid 2.
These instructions are intended only for the Motorola Droid 2. Do not attempt to use these instructions or this ROM on another device. We shall not be held responsible for whatever happens to your phone. Use these instructions at your own risk.
- Rooted Motorola Droid 2 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed. For help with rooting, see our guide on how to root and install ClockworkMod Recovery on the Motorola Droid 2.
- Droid 2 Bootstrap Recovery app installed on your phone
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left.
- Backup of your personal data and important information.
- AOKP ROM build 28 for Motorola Droid 2 — Download from here
- Latest GApps (Google Apps) package for AOKP — Download from here
- If you have not yet done so, upgrade your phone to the latest unofficial version of CyanogenMod 9 for the Motorola Droid 2. You need to do this before you can continue to the next steps.
- Connect your Motorola Droid 2 to your PC via USB cable.
- Copy the AOKP and GApps packages to your phone’s internal SD card.
- Disconnect your phone from your PC.
- Launch the Droid 2 Bootstrap Recovery app on your phone.
- Tap on the “Bootstrap Recovery” button. If the Superuser app pops up requesting permission, grant it.
- Tap on the “Reboot Recovery” button. Your phone will power down and reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery.
- In recovery, create a Nandroid backup of your current ROM by going to Backup and restore > Backup.
- Go back to the main recovery menu.
- Select Install zip from sdcard > Choose zip from sdcard. Browse for the AOKP ROM package and select it. Select Yes on the screen that follows to confirm the installation.
- Repeat the previous step, but this time, choose the GApps package.
- Select Go back from the recovery menu, and then select Reboot system now to reboot your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the AOKP ROM build 28 on your Motorola Droid 2.