DROID 2.1 update information appears on Verizon Wireless’ website, rollout starting 3/18
Verizon Wireless released a PDF document on its DROID update page today that details the enhancements coming to the Motorola DROID in the highly anticipated Android 2.1 update. Good news for those sitting on the edge of their seat waiting for this update to rollout as Android Central scored a leaked document that reveals the update will start on March 18th at 12PM EST. Similar to the 2.0.1 update, the 2.1 update will be a rolling OTA release so don’t panic if your DROID has not been updated after you polish off your lunch on Thursday. Patience, young grasshopper as you will soon have a DROID with all those wonderful Android 2.1 features which are listed for your reading pleasure after the jump.
- Pinch-to-zoom is now available when using the browser, Gallery, and Google Maps.™
- New Weather and News application plus widget
- The Weather and News app pulls the information you want from the Web and brings it to your fingertips. You get weekly and hourly weather forecasts based on your location, and news headlines.
- New support for voice-to-text entry.
- Whenever a text-entry box appears, simply tap the microphone icon on the virtual keyboard and speak.
- New Gallery application with 3D layout. View and share photos taken with your phone and images from your online Picasa Web albums.
- Live Wallpapers offer richer animated, interactive backgrounds on the home screen.
- Free Yahoo!® Mail is now supported—simply sig¹n in with your Yahoo! email address and password.¹
- Google Maps update.²
- Personalized suggestions and synchronized starring with desktop maps.google.com.
- Starred items are stored and synced automatically between Google Maps on your device and maps.google.com on your computer.
- New night mode in Google Maps Navigation automatically changes the screen at night for easier viewing.
- Improved pattern-lock functionality.
- Improved handset audio when disconnecting a wired headset.
- Email accounts no longer need to be re-entered after an over-the-air update.
1 Not available when using Verizon Wi-Fi.
2 Previously available for download.