DoCoMo and NEC to Launch Ultra-Slim and Water-Proof Android Smartphone
NEC may not be doing so well in the smartphone market lately, but they aren’t going down without a fight. DoCoMo has just announced a new smartphone for Japan, called NEC- ES N-05D. What’s most spectacular about this device is that they are built to be water-proof while still being 0.11 inches thinner than a Galaxy S 2, which is already a pretty thin device.
These are all the specs:
- 4.3-inch LCD with a resolution of 720 x 1280 pixels,
- Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread,
- waterproof body,
- 8.1MP CMOS camera with NEC’s Exmor R for better low light performance,
- dual-core 1.5GHz MSM8260 CPU,
- 1GB of RAM,
- 4GB internal memory,
- Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi, NFC e-wallet function, infrared connection, digital TV tuner,
- microSD card slot,
- 1400mAh battery,
- connectivity to Casio’s G-SHOCK GB-6900 watch,
- dimensions: 130×67×6.7mm, weight: 3.89 oz (110g)
The phone actually looks very competitive with a 4.3″ display with an HD resolution of 1280×720. It even has a dual core 1.5 Ghz S3 processor, although that has proven to be even a bit weaker than a dual core 1.2 Cortex A9 processor. It won’t be until S4 when Qualcomm will reach catch-up in raw CPU power.
It’s also a bit unfortunate to still see devices still launching with Gingerbread, but it is what it is. Hopefully they at least plan on upgrading it soon to ICS. With 4 GB of internal storage and 1 GB of RAM, and a dual core processor, it should be more than capable to receive the Android 4.0 update.
There’s no word whether these phones will be available outside Japan, but if they will be, you might have to wait a while for that to happen.