Install MIUI 4 Ice Cream Sandwich on HTC Desire Z and T-Mobile G2
Much has been said about MIUI. This popular custom ROM has already received so many good reviews from users. One of the qualities that set this ROM apart from the others is its user interface. The simple and straightforward looks of its UI make this custom ROM stand out. Some might say that its design was just copied from the iPhone, but if you are already using it, you can definitely tell its distinct qualities.
The recently updated MIUI 4 has been an astounding breakthrough. This new update is already based on Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich. Just imagine the awesomeness of MIUI combined with the greatness of ICS. This is a true powerhouse.
The latest MIUI has already been ported to a limited number of devices, which might be sad for us who did not get it. But, those people who own the HTC Desire Z are lucky–MIUI 4 has now been ported to the device. The ported version also works for the T-Mobile G2, which is the U.S. version of the Desire Z.
Read on for the steps for installing MIUI 4 into the HTC Desire Z or T-Mobile G2.
This is still the alpha version of MIUI 4. You may encounter issues with its functionalities and features. You need not worry though; this is a work in progress. If issues arise, for sure they will have a fix in the near future.
Please read all the steps first before you perform them on the device. This will allow you to foresee what will happen next.
This process will void the warranty of your device so be extra careful.
This is only compatible with the HTC Desire Z or the T-Mobile G2. Do not attempt to flash this ROM on a different device.
Things You Need
- A Windows PC with Internet access.
- USB data cable for the device.
- Backup your data.
- The phone should be rooted and ClockworkMod Recovery should be installed on the phone.
- The device needs to be fully charged.
Steps in Installing MIUI 4 ICS on HTC Desire Z
- Download the MIUI ICS 4.0.3 Alpha 3 ROM from here.
- Connect the device to the PC via the USB data cable.
- Copy the downloaded file into the root directory of the device’s SD card.
- Disconnect the device from the PC.
- Turn off the device.
- Boot the device into recovery mode by holding down the Power button and the Volume Down button, and then selecting “recovery” from the options on the screen.
- Backup the existing ROM by going to “Backup and Restore” option.
- Do a full wipe by selecting “Wipe data / factory reset”.
- Clear system cache by doing “Wipe Cache Partition”.
- The Dalvik cache has to be cleared as well. You can do this from “Advanced”.
- To install the ROM, go to “Install zip from sdcard”. Select “Choose zip from sdcard” option. Choose the MIUI-v4-Vision-2.2.3-Alpha3.zip file to start installing.
- Go back to the main menu and then choose “Reboot system now”.
That’s it. Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich via MIUI 4 should already be running in your device. You can now treat yourself to your favorite snack and enjoy your new and upgraded HTC Desire Z or T-Mobile G2. Congratulations!