Upgrade HTC Desire S to Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich Through Virtuous Quattro ROM
One of HTC’s amazing phones for the year 2011 brings even more surprises to its users for the year 2012. Originally shipping with Android 2.3 Gingerbread, the HTC Desire S not only is upgradable to the latest Gingerbread (Android 2.3.5) but also to the latest Android (4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich). Thanks to the Virtuous Quattro ROM, ICS is no longer out of reach of HTC Desire S users.
The phone is crafted with a sturdy aluminum chassis while maintaining a sleek build. It sports a 1 GHz processor and has an in-built HD camcorder for capturing your memories the high-definition way. What better way to maximize your enjoyment of the HTC Desire S’s desirable hardware than to load it up with Ice Cream Sandwich?
Currently still in alpha development (alpha 3), the Virtuous Quattro ROM packs fully functional ICS features. Only a few features are not working (the most notable of which are Bluetooth and the camcorder). If you want to check out what this ROM has to offer to your HTC Desire S, follow the steps in the rest of this guide.
- A rooted HTC Desire S with ClockworkMod Recovery installed. (Need help with this? Check out our guide for rooting the HTC Desire S and installing ClockworkMod Recovery.)
- Backup of all your phone data
- Battery power of at least 60% or more
Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold ourselves liable for any damage arising from your use of the information here.
- Download Virtuous Quattro Alpha 3 for the HTC Desire S here and save it on your PC.
- Copy the ZIP file to your HTC Desire S’s microSD card.
- Turn your mobile phone off.
- Reboot it into ClockworkMod Recovery by doing the following:
- Press the Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously.
- Using the Volume keys, highlight “bootloader” and select it by pressing the Power button.
- Highlight “recovery” (using the Volume keys) and select it by pressing the Power button.
- In recovery mode, backup your current ROM so you’ll have a copy of your system in case you face problems while installing the Virtuous Quattro ROM. You can do this by going to Backup and Restore > Backup.
- Perform a total wipe by doing the following:
- Select “Wipe Data/Factory reset.”
- Select “Wipe Cache Partition.”
- From the main menu, select “Advance Setting,” then select “Wipe Dalvik Cache.”
- After wiping your phone’s data, select “Install zip from sdcard.”
- Select “Choose zip from sdcard” and choose the ZIP file that you copied to the SD card. Confirm that you want to flash the ROM.
- After installing the ROM, reboot your device by selecting “Go Back” and choose “Reboot System Now.”
Congratulations! You have successfully updated your HTC Desire S to Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich through Virtuous Quattro ROM.