Reality sucks when you can only enjoy the latest Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and HTC Sense 4.0 from newly released or high-end Android phones. That leaves our older Android phones far off from civilization. But, thanks to independent developers, the latest treats have been ported to our older Android phones. The Primo-S 3.4 custom ROM, developed by senior XDA Developers member, proxuser, brings Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich with HTC Sense 4.0 to the HTC Desire S.
The dev based it on the leaked official HTC One V ROM (1.56.401.1), bringing the latest Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich and HTC Sense 4.0 into to the HTC Desire S. The updated Primo-S 3.4 ROM carries the following:
- Updated Gmail 4.0.5
- Updated Google Maps 6.5.1
- Updated Street View 22.214.171.124
- Updated Adblock Hosts
- Google Chrome 0.18.4409.2396 added
- Google+ 126.96.36.1999322 added
- Google Currents 1.1.0 added
- Google Books removed
- and much more
If you’d like to get the Primo-S 3.4 ROM on your HTC Desire S, continue reading the rest of this guide for instructions for flashing it to your device.
- Download the Primo-S 3.4 ROM from here (PrimoS-v3.4.zip, md5sum: f6083336ef4e7fcea903328166a9dbfb).
- A rooted HTC Desire S with ClockworkMod Recovery installed. Check out this guide on how to root and flash ClockworkMod Recovery on your HTC Desire S.
- Create a backup of your mobile phone data or transfer your files to the phone’s SD card prior to flashing the ROM. Read our guide on how to sync your mobile data to the cloud and how to create a backup of your phone files.
- Maintain battery charge of 70% or more.
NOTE: This ROM is not in its final version. Expect some bugs and malfunctioning features once you flash this ROM. Also make sure that you know what you are doing before following this guide. We will not be held responsible for any damage on your HTC Desire S.
- Download the Primo-S v3.4 ROM to your computer.
- Using your USB cable, plug your HTC Desire S to the computer.
- Copy and paste the PrimoS-v3.4.zip file to the root of your phone’s SD card.
- Unplug your HTC Desire S from the computer
- Switch off your mobile phone.
- Reboot your HTC Desire S into Bootloader Mode. You can do that by holding the Volume Down key and Power button until the phone boots into HBOOT. NOTE: Once in Bootloader Mode, use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an option.
- Select “Recovery” from the bootloader menu. When you see the red warning triangle, press Volume Up and Power buttons simultaneously to enter Recovery Mode.
- Create a Nandroid backup of your current ROM. Go to Backup and Restore. On the next screen, select Backup to create a backup of your existing ROM.
- Go back to the main menu. Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe Cache Partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Return to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik Cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select install zip from sd card.
- Select choose zip from sd card and highlight PrimoS-v3.4.zip. Select Yes on the next screen to begin flashing the ROM to your mobile phone.
- After installation is complete, return to the main menu and select Reboot system now. This will reboot your HTC Desire S with the Primo-S v3.4 ROM running on top.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the Primo-S 3.4 custom ROM on your HTC Desire S. You can now enjoy the latest Ice Cream Sandwich and HTC Sense 4.0.