The HTC Desire might have been around for a while already, but development for it is still going strong. A new MIUI port has been released for this Android device, based on the CyanogenMod 9 source powered by Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
This release, the MIUI NMR4 custom ROM, has been ported from MIUI AU v4. Unfortunately, many of MIUI AU 4’s bugs were also carried onto this port, but the developers have added a number of tweaks, additional apps, scripts and settings as well.
The developer, XDA Developers member noonamer, has also included NMR Settings, an APK developed by noonamer in Java and containing improvements such as CPU control and interface settings.
At the time of this writing, some of the known bugs are an unstable camera, the lack of inclusion of the FM Radio, sometimes contact numbers are not matched properly, and USB Tethering.
If won’t let a few snags discourage you from trying this ROM on your HTC Desire, you’ll need a few things before you can proceed to the installation process:
- A rooted HTC Desire with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- MIUI NMR4 Alpha 3 ROM ZIP file (download this to your computer)
- A fully charged battery to keep your device from shutting off in the middle of the update process.
- Make sure you back up any important information on your device, as flashing this ROM can erase your apps and data.
- You’ll need to create an ext3/4 partition on your SD card. Follow the guide here.
- You’ll need CM7-R2 HBOOT on your device. Install CM7-R2 HBOOT, as follows:
- Download CM7-R2 HBOOT to your computer.
- Rename the file to PB99IMG.zip.
- Copy the renamed file to the root of the HTC Desire’s microSD card.
- Power off your phone.
- Reboot to HBOOT, which you can do by holding down the Volume Down key while pressing the Power button. The phone will automatically detect the update file and should also automatically flash it.
Once you have everything ready, you may now proceed to flashing the MIUI NMR4 ROM to your HTC Desire:
- Copy the MIUI NMR4 ROM file to the root of your HTC Desire’s external microSD Card.
- Switch off your phone.
- Reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery. You can do this by holding down the Volume Down key and pressing the Power button. Scroll down to “bootloader”. Press the Power button to select it. Scroll down to “recovery”. Press the Power button to select it.
- Once in recovery mode, created a backup of your existing ROM so you can restore it if something does not go well with MIUI NMR4. Do it from Backup and Restore > Backup.
- Perform a full wipe:
- Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset.”
- Select “Wipe Cache Partition.”
- Select “Wipe Dalvik Cache” from the Advanced menu.
- Navigate to “Install ZIP from SD Card” and select the MIUI NMR4 ZIP file.
- Once the file has finished flashing, select “Go Back” and choose “Reboot System Now.”
After your phone reboots, you now have Ice Cream Sandwich running on your HTC Desire via the MIUI NMR4 custom ROM. Enjoy!