Upgrade HTC Desire HD to Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich Via Virtuous Quattro ROM
Although the official update for the HTC Desire HD has not yet been released, Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich is already making its way to the HTC Desire HD through custom ROMs, one of which is the Virtuous Quattro ROM.
Currently, Virtuous Quattro for the Desire HD is in alpha 3 stage of development. Yet, despite being still in alpha, the ROM already has more features working than non-working. According to the developer, both the camcorder and Bluetooth are still not working, as well as some other non-working features yet to be identified.
The HTC Desire HD is known for its 4.3-inch cinematic display with Dolby Mobile and SRS virtual surround sound. The device also features a 1 GHz processor and has the power to locate and remotely erase data on your mobile phone. It comes with Android 2.2 Froyo but is upgradable to Android 2.3 Gingerbread, and, through custom ROMs like Virtuous Quattro, also apparently upgradable to Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich.
Developers added that the ROM is compiled directly from the AOSP code (which is pure ICS), is pre-rooted, and is optimized for the Desire HD. So, if you’ve got what it takes to update your HTC Desire HD to Android 4.0.3 ICS, read the rest of the guide for flashing the Virtuous Quattro ROM on your mobile phone.
Requirements and Reminders
- Make sure your HTC Desire HD is rooted.
- ClockworkMod Recovery must also be installed on your device.
- Create a backup of all necessary data or transfer all files in your SD card in case it gets corrupted while flashing the ROM.
- To ensure your device lasts for the entire installation process, make sure your device has at least 60% of power.
- We are not held liable for any damage arising from your use of this information. Install the ROM at your own risk.
- Download the Virtuous Quattro Alpha 3 ROM here and save it in your computer.
- Copy the ROM into the root of the external microSD card on your HTC Desire HD.
- Switch your phone off and reboot it into ClockworkMod Recovery. You can do so in this manner:
- Press and hold the Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously.
- On the next screen, use the Volume keys to navigate and highlight “bootloader” and select it by pressing the Power button.
- While in bootloader mode, use the Volume keys to highlight “recovery” and press the Power button to select.
- Create a backup of your current working ROM. You can do that be selecting Backup and Restore > Backup.
- Perform a full wipe of your HTC Desire HD’s data. You can do that by performing the following:
- Perform a factory reset be selecting “Wipe Data/Factory Reset” then confirm on the next screen.
- Clear out the cache partition by selecting “Wipe Cache Partition” then confirm on the next screen.
- Wipe Dalvik cache by going to “Advance Setting” from the main menu then select “Wipe Dalvik Cache” and confirm on the next screen.
- After clearing out the cache, select “Install zip from sdcard.”
- Select “Choose zip from sdcard” and choose the downloaded ROM file. Once you confirm, the ROM will start installing on your device.
- Once installation is complete, Select “Go Back” and choose “Reboot System Now” to restart your phone into Ice Cream Sandwich.
Congratulations! You have successfully flashed Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich on your HTC Desire HD via the Virtuous Quattro ROM.