Upgrading the HTC Desire HD to Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread and HTC Sense 3.5
The HTC Desire HD runs Android 2.2 Froyo but can be upgraded to Android 2.3 Gingerbread. But, while other owners of the HTC Desire HD are content with Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread plus HTC Sense 3.0, you can enjoy Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread with HTC Sense 3.5 instead by installing Android Revolution HD 7.0.3 on your phone.
This ROM is based on firmware 1.05.401.4 of the HTC Sensation XL RUU, bringing Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread and HTC Sense 3.5. XDA Developers member mike1986 ported the firmware to the HTC Desire HD.
These are some of the features of Android Revolution HD 7.0.3:
- Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread
- HTC Sense 3.5 User Interface
- Multilanguage support
- Improved battery life
- Enhanced camera performance
- Stable and fast
- Enabled GPU UI rendering
- Removed bloatware
- Fully optimized and improved
- New kernel 184.108.40.206 (tweaked and undervolted)
- Default CPU clock at 1.15 GHz but can be overclocked to 1.61 GHz
- Unsecured boot.img
- and many more
In this guide, we will be teaching you how to flash the Android Revolution HD 7.0.3 ROM to enjoy Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread and HTC Sense 3.5 on your HTC Desire HD.
- HTC Desire HD, rooted and with S-OFF. (Check out our guide for rooting and enabling S-OFF on the HTC Desire HD)
- Create a backup of your mobile data and transfer files to the phone’s SD card before flashing this ROM.
- Charge the phone’s battery to at least 60% (full charge recommended).
- These instructions work with the HTC Desire HD only. Do not try these instructions on another device. Otherwise, you could brick your device.
- Make sure you know what you are doing before following this guide. We will not be held liable for any damage caused by your use of this guide.
- Download and install the 4EXT Recovery Updater app from here and install the app on your phone.
- Launch 4EXT Recovery Updater on your phone and use it to install the latest version of 4EXT Recovery Touch on your phone.
- Download the Android Revolution HD 7.0.3 ROM from here (Android_Revolution_HD-4G_7.0.3.zip, md5sum: 9015B65B457C92BEFDD32C26BB839461)and save it to your computer. Do not extract the ZIP file.
- Download Super Wipe from here (Android_Revolution_HD_Super_Wipe.zip, 144 kB) and save it to your computer. Do not extract the ZIP file
- Hook your HTC Desire HD to the computer via USB cable.
- Copy the Android Revolution HD 7.0.3 ROM and Super Wipe into the phone’s SD card. Do not place the files inside any folder.
- Unplug your phone from the computer.
- In 4EXT Recovery Updater, tap on “Power Menu”. Select “Reboot into recovery” and tap “OK”. Or, if you want to reboot into recovery manually, you can do so as follows: turn off your phone completely and hold down the Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously until your phone boots into recovery.
- In recovery mode, tap on Backup | Restore > Backup and create a backup of your ROM.
- Return to the main recovery menu.
- Tap “install from sdcard.” Tap “choose zip from sd card”. Browse for the Super Wipe ZIP file and tap it to select it. Confirm that you want to flash the ZIP file.
- Repeat the previous step, but this time, choose the Android Revolution HD ZIP package.
- After installation is complete, go back to the main menu and reboot your phone.
Good job! You have successfully updated your HTC Desire HD to Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread with HTC Sense 3.5 by flashing Android Revolution HD 7.0.3.