HTC Desire HD owners may have been let down and have lost hope in upgrading their phone to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich after the announcement for an official updated was retracted. Hardware limitations were main reasons why the update didn't push through, but despite that, our brilliant developers still found ways to make the update possible.
The Nik Project X ROM, developed by XDA Developers member nikhil007mmus, is an ICS-based ROM that features all the goodies one can expect from Android 4.0. Some of the notable features incorporated into this ROM are a faster stock browser, face unlock, and the latest Sense 4.0 UI which adds to a more visually-appealing interface. With this ROM, owners of the device will be able to experience the OS that they were deprived of.
Although this ROM is stable enough for everyday use, still keep in mind that it may carry a few bugs. Just check the official development page of this ROM for updates or additions.
This guide shows you how to upgrade the Desire HD to Android 4.0.3 ICS via Nik Project X custom ROM.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the HTC Desire HD. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- An HTC Desire HD with ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Your phone's USB cable.
- Download the Nik Project X v4.1 ROM package (Nik_Project_X_v4.1_By_Nikhil007_DesireHD.zip, md5sum: ffe1487a757d85eeac81e14338df3e68)
- Make sure your phone's battery is charged up to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the Nik Project X v4.1 ROM package to your phone's SD card.
- Switch your phone off and boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, press and hold down the Volume Down and Power buttons together until the HBOOT menu shows up. From there, press the Volume Down key to select the Recovery option. Press the Power button to select the option.
- Make a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. To create a backup, go to Backup and Restore and select Backup.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen. Wait for the process to finish.
- Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go to Mounts and Storage and select Format /system.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD card and navigate to the Nik_Project_X_v4.1_By_Nikhil007_DesireHD.zip file, select it, and confirm the action on the next screen.
- AROMA Installer will then show up. Keep clicking on the Next button and if you are prompted to perform a wipe, confirm the action. Continue clicking Next until the ROM starts installing.
- Once installation of the ROM is done and you are asked to reboot, select Yes. This will reboot your phone to the newly installed Nik Project X ROM.
Congratulations! You have successfully upgraded your HTC Desire HD to Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich via the Nik Project X v4.1 ROM. Any thoughts or comments about the ROM? How is it working so far?
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.