1. Join the forums

The Android Authority community is a great place to connect with other people from around the world who love Android.
    Why you should create an account?
    • Comment on articles and talk in our forums
    • Access to exclusive giveaways & contests
    • Collect Droids that can be redeemed for exclusive Android Authority apparel.
    • Get help from Android experts and other device owners.

Register or Login.

Why do people feel the need to have the highest end of technology?

Discussion in 'General Technology News and Discussion' started by CJF, Jun 20, 2014.

1. CJF

CJF Member

Devices:
    Galaxy SIII, Galaxy Player 5.0, Asus Nexus 7, Galaxy Note 10.1
    Honestly I cannot see why people feel the need to go out and buy the highest end of products. Now yes, the higher end of products are great, and thy have the nicest build quality, and the greatest specs of that time, but does it really justify paying thousands of dollars for high end products? i'm talking more on the line of laptops, tablets, and occasionally phones. Now me personally, I am very happy with using a laptop that I got back in 2009 on Christmas day. This laptop does everything I need it to from school work, and free time. Yes, this laptop is extremely outdated as it is nearly six years old. My DELL Laptop is running an i3 processor and other dated specs, yet it is just fine for everyday tasks, and more. Do we really need a 4K display on a phone like the LG 3? Yes the display is AMAZING! but really not needed on a phone. A laptop does not need to have a display brighter than 1080p or a retina display? The reason i'm making this thread is to see why people actually feel the need to pay up to one thousand dollars for a laptop, or an $800+ tablet when they're much cheaper products out on the market that are just as good to be honest, unless you actually need to do any real content heavy creating then maybe it would be worth the extra money to get a laptop that could handle creating or editing videos. Nexus 7 is a cheap tablet, and a great tablet for the price. Yet people will go out and buy an iPad which is way too expensive IMO.

Really i'm just saying I do not think many people need all these high end very expensive products when cheaper ones can do all the same. What's your opinion? Do you agree or disagree, thoughts?

2. Derek Scott

Derek Scott Webmaster Staff Member Protocol Droid

Devices:
    OnePlus One, Nexus 5, Nexus 7
    For myself I have many high end products because I can appreciate them and I use for them for work. I've been through the paces, starting at the bottom with the shittiest of shittiest and then working my way up. Like when I got the JayBird BlueBuds I was like Woah, and I am still am everyday, because I've gone through a ton of shitty earbuds. Or my V-Moda Crossfade M-100's, I appreciate the heck out of them and feel very fortunate every day and enjoy using them. I use the shit out of both these products, they each get at minimum 2 hours or use each day.

I get what you mean though, some people probably just buy the most expensive product because they just want to feel rich or like they are special and they have no clue about the technology and have no appreciation.

It makes sense to buy high end products that are going to last a long time if you are going to use them a lot. Buy 1 pair of $300 headphones that last you 5 years or go through 3 $100 headphones in 5 years.

My moto is, if I need a product for the long haul, I do not mind paying more upfront to ensure I have a high end product that lasts. If I need something temporary I'll go as cheap as possible.

3. Luka

Luka Administrator Staff Member Sentient Droid

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
    It has a lot to do with the love for a specific brand. Much like buying a Passat after you had a Golf.

4. Rob Triggs

Rob Triggs Administrator Staff Member Battle Droid

Devices:
    Galaxy S2 (PA 4.4), LG G3
    Well I think you answered the question for yourself. Whilst you might not see the point in buying the very premium products, because what you currently have suits your needs, others will make use of the premium features. Take graphics cards, there's no point in going Sli GTX Titans if you're gaming on a 1080p 60fps monitor, but if you're aiming for 4K or 144fps you'll want that extra juice. You'll probably find that the majority of consumers opt for the more reasonably mid/high end cards, and, likewise, a lot of consumers probably aren't going to sold purely on the LG G3's higher resolution display.

For 4K TVs or smartphones, I think that most consumers will wait until the price becomes more reasonable. There's also the "contract" aspect of mobiles to consider, where people don't feel an immediate financial pain by opting for the highest end products.

I guess it's the same reason that people spend a fortune on hi-fi audio or premium model cars. Most people probably don't need it, but some people will find extra enjoyment or use from the really premium stuff. There's also the cutting edge aspect to it, some people simply like being the first to test out the next big thing, and are will to pay a premium for the privilege.

I tend to be rather conservative with my purchases, but I can see why some people like to spend more.

5. John Farrell

John Farrell Member Protocol Droid

Devices:
    Galaxy Tab2
    Well, tell you what any commenting over its again controversial because if started saying " I like and I have the capacity to pay for it" a number of comment wil start popping out over the several minds. I would say instead of thinking it this way think it as I am buying because my gut feeling say that cheaper Laptops or devices is going to let me down while if i pay a bit more for the same thing than the people have their own views.

6. mobilecrackers

mobilecrackers Member Battle Droid

Devices:
    galaxy note1 , s4 , s5360, S3, Apple 4s,Apple i pad
    I need high technology device to stay connected with my friends and site. I can use my device anywhere and update my current status. even it finds my current location. I can't live without these technology

7. John Farrell

Devices:
    Galaxy Tab2
    @mobilecrackers No you are taking it over the different direction ! I don't think that we are discussing here anything that has to do anything with the technology !

mobilecrackers likes this.
  8. Swapnil Kolhe

Swapnil Kolhe Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    Micromax Canvas 250 and Moto X
    My reaction is YOLO ..so go for the best :cool::cool:

9. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Member Protocol Droid

Devices:
    OnePlus One, iPhone 5S
    Because when something new comes out, it's flashy and marketed as "better" than the previous model and you'll slowly want to buy it more and more.

10. Swapnil Kolhe

Swapnil Kolhe Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    Micromax Canvas 250 and Moto X
    This question can be perfectly ansrd by metaphor ...We have Girlfriend but we always checkout some1 who is better than our Gf :p :D

11. imS0ul

imS0ul Member Protocol Droid

Devices:
    Bright Red Nexus 5 !
    Aaaaand Checkmate.

12. xavier666

xavier666 Member Drone Droid

Devices:
    Moto G
    We always want something that we don't have. It's basic human nature

xVxM4tthewxVx and Luka like this.
  13. John Farrell

Devices:
    Galaxy Tab2
    Well, I would say problems are always the same everywhere ! :D

14. Ed Briggs

Ed Briggs Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    Nexus 5, Ubuntu laptop
    Honestly, I can't see why people feel the need to get married, eat pig intestines, or make their hair neon colors. It's just what makes the world go around. Some people make good money and can afford these things, or they just want it. Does someone need a Porsche or Lamborghini when a plain old Honda Civic will still get them from point A to point B?

Why are you concerned what other people spend? It's their money.

Btw, the LG G3 has a 2K display (quad HD) ;)

I don't need a Nexus 5 or Nexus 4, but it's what makes me happy, and that's all that matters.

xVxM4tthewxVx and Luka like this.
  15. John Farrell

Devices:
    Galaxy Tab2

Well, @Ed Briggs to some extent I agree with you point ! but tell you what this is one of the most yuckiest response I have ever seen over the forum ! :p

Luka likes this.
  16. Ed Briggs

Ed Briggs Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    Nexus 5, Ubuntu laptop
    Feel free to disagree with me. As long as people are respectful and follow forum rules, opinions are welcome.

17. John Farrell

Devices:
    Galaxy Tab2
    @Ed Briggs You are getting me wrong I didn't mean to talk in bad manner rather than I was having some friendly discussion over here !! Don't get me wrong on this... :(

18. Jonathan Feist

Jonathan Feist Team AA Staff Member Protocol Droid

Devices:
    Nexus 7, Moto G
    Derek covered the quality issue up front, good work. I would add the longevity of high end from a specifications perspective as well. @CJF you mention your Dell laptop with i3 processor, I'm sure it still handles your daily web surfing tasks, but it is going to run out of steam eventually. Now imagine if you'd have picked up an i5 or i7 at that time, you'd, theoretically, have a bunch of extra time before having to retire it. Trust me, I am on the verge of retiring a laptop I got back in the spring of 2007. Over 7 years on a $1300 (staff pricing) laptop, I got my wife a $800 machine at the same time, which had to be retired over 3 years ago. So, when I break it down, it cost almost $200/year for the low end machine and only $185/year (and dropping as I keep using it) for the high-end machine.

Further, the low end machine completely blew up, display burned out and GPU overheated and bubbled. The high-end machine is still going strong enough, I think I'll turn it into a media server.

That's why I buy high-end, it's less expensive!

19. Luka

Luka Administrator Staff Member Sentient Droid

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
    Don't be like that, i dig chicks with pink hair :D
    Guess that's case in point for your argument.

I would agree with you if it wasn't for the Nexus line, OnePlus, Motorola. A high end flagship cost's twice as much as Nexus 5 here yet they in some cases have the same exact power and build quality. You don't see that as much with other hardware.

Jonathan Feist likes this.
  20. Joe Hindy

Joe Hindy AA App Guy Staff Member Protocol Droid

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3, LG Nexus 5, LG G Watch
    Well there are some ulterior motives too. OnePlus is a company trying to get off the ground and selling the phone at cost gets their name out there. For Google, the Nexus line puts cheaper high end Android phones in more people's hands and those people go and buy things in the Google Play Store (thus Google makes more money).

Motorola has been sold 2 times in 2 years...that's what happens when you build good phones and sell them at (near) cost. Your company gets bought, gutted, and sold repeatedly lol.