1. Join the forums

The Android Authority community is a great place to connect with other people from around the world who love Android.
    Why you should create an account?
    • Comment on articles and talk in our forums
    • Access to exclusive giveaways & contests
    • Collect Droids that can be redeemed for exclusive Android Authority apparel.
    • Get help from Android experts and other device owners.

Register or Login.

Who's hungry for Virtual Cookies? (the VR thread)

Discussion in 'General Technology News and Discussion' started by Rob Triggs, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Rob Triggs

Rob Triggs Administrator Staff Member Battle Droid

Devices:
    Galaxy S2 (PA 4.4), LG G3

So Oculus Rift is gradually edging closer to a consumer release, Sony's working on Project Morpheus, and even Samsung is apparently jumping in on the VR trend, by working with Oculus to produce a device that uses your phone's display for some VR goodness. With some serious investment behind virtual reality technology, do you think it will actually succeed in attracting mainstream appeal?

If you can't tell, I'm pretty psyched for it. For gaming it's actually the only thing recently that's made me think "that looks new, I really want to try that", but there are loads of interesting possibilities for use in TV, film, and virtual tours too. David Attenborough is even working on a documentary for the Rift.

Also this... :p
    [​IMG]

What do you think about VR?

XtreamSignature and Ed Briggs like this.
  2. imS0ul

imS0ul Member Protocol Droid

Devices:
    Bright Red Nexus 5 !
    I'm really stoked about the possibilities you can unlock with VR. I can't even imagine what game devs (and even another devs) will come up for VR. The technology itself seems really promising !

3. Darcy LaCouvee

Darcy LaCouvee Team AA Staff Member Droid Minion

Very excited for VR. Oculus is the first of many. I fully expect the number of titles and the hardware powering them to get even more compelling. On the tech side of things, the displays are ridiculously high PPI 2098 PPI to be exact, in a 0.7 inch OLED display.

Anyway, it's all very new of course, but if we think about a few years down the line, it's very well likely that quite a few of us will be strapped into these bad boys. Every major electronics manufacturer knows that they have huge potential. Imagine, for example, as a family, (it sounds strange, I know) strapping these in, and experiencing a totally realistic movie together, where you are the actors. Studios could sell these environments, or they could be a continuous ongoing choose your own adventure type thing. The possibilities are endless, and the immersive factor is a bit terrifying but it's likely the future. Exciting for nerds!

Rob Triggs likes this.
  4. imS0ul

Devices:
    Bright Red Nexus 5 !
    Can you imagine playing games like Battlefield or ArmA on that? Eventually, you'd get used to it. But at start that'd be a intense cardio workout with bullets flying over/towards you, grenades popping and such, I can tell you that, haha!

Darcy LaCouvee likes this.
  5. Darcy LaCouvee

Darcy LaCouvee Team AA Staff Member Droid Minion

Woah - holy your horses there man! No exercise needs to be involved! I mean, we can feel like we're getting exercise but actually moving your body? I mean, come on! That's asking a bit much, isn't it? I mean, isn't that what real life is for? I'm all for immersion, just that well, they better advance the sensors to make it feel like you're actually getting exercise, rather than actually needing to get it :p

6. imS0ul

Devices:
    Bright Red Nexus 5 !
    You misunderstood me. I was talking about, for example, a grenade popping right by your side and it's do realistic that you get scared and your heart starts racing. That's what I meant with cardio exercise hahaha :p

Darcy LaCouvee likes this.
  7. Rob Triggs

Devices:
    So true. I still get a laugh out of youtube videos of people having minor heart attacks playing horror games on the Rift. It's going to be awesome!

Exactly, there's so much that could be done. In a way I wish Google has bought Oculus instead of Facebook. I would love to have seen what Google could have done with Virtual Places, as it's already invested loads into photographing and mapping out all sorts of landmarks. I'm not saying it would replace trips abroad where you can actually take in the culture, but I'd rather take a VR tour of The Great Wall of China than sit on a 12 hour flight!

8. imS0ul

Devices:
    Bright Red Nexus 5 !
    You can already see youtubers like PewDiePie playing with the Oculus. It's so funny hahaha

9. Rob Triggs

Devices:
    Yeah! Those type of videos really make me want to drop the cash on a Dev Kit, although the rational part of my brain I should wait for the consumer version. It's a tough choice. :confused:

10. imS0ul

Devices:
    Bright Red Nexus 5 !
    Really tough indeed!

11. Luka

Luka Administrator Staff Member Sentient Droid

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
    Technology is really cool. Only thing i dislike about the whole thing is Facebook buying it. Instead of explaining why i'm gonna go ahead and show you someone who explains it a lot better.
    [​IMG]
    :D
    That said i'm looking forward to seeing the technology progresses. Later down the line i can always chose from which manufacturer i want to buy it and from which i don't.
    Also it's worth a mention that there is some other similar technology i am also psyched about. This is CastAR

I'll admit it isn't as cool as Oculus but it opens possibilities for some other things like playing D&D with your friends, or making 3D models out of that material and then displaying a virtual model on it. Un like Oculus that is 100% virtual, this combines the virtual world with the real one. I hope this technology finds it's place among similarly awesome projects like Oculu.

12. Rob Triggs

Devices:
    Eh, I'm not too worried about Facebook's acquisition of Oculus, and this is coming from someone who doesn't use or like Facebook, at all. I believe they're pretty much leaving Oculus to it, at least for now. Whether or not Facebook will try to tack on their own software or something remains to be seen, and that would obviously be a massive shame.

CastAR also looks interesting, I like the "augmented reality" thing as it's a bit more social. Like you said, board games could be reinvented with technology like that. I want someone to build an awesome 3D version of chess for it, with customisable pieces that actually do battle when you move them around. Or Monopoly with massive skyscrapers coming out of the board :p

Luka likes this.
  13. Rob Triggs

Devices:
  14. imS0ul

Devices:
    Bright Red Nexus 5 !
    First oculus, then Sony... Now Samsung? *sigh*
    I guess they have AMOLED. If the screen isn't too over-saturated, maybe someone will be able to use it :p
    At least now these companies will be all battling with each other for the best technology, which is what drives companies to make the better and better products nowadays.

Rob Triggs likes this.
  15. Rob Triggs

Devices:
    Oculus to buy Carbon Design, (the guys who made the Xbox360 controller)
    Seems like a good move to get a dedicated hardware design team onboard, so I guess they're interested in more than just contracting out a single design of some sort. I wonder if they're just there to work on the headset, or if Oculus will launch its own controller or something that works with its headset. After all, it can't be easy to find a keyboard with something strapped to your face. :p

16. Luka

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
  17. Rob Triggs

Devices:
    Oh yeah. Despite the cardboard, I really want to test it out.

The video of Josh putting it together made me chuckle, especially when he found that OnePlus One doesn't fit too well :p

18. Luka

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
    Did he say keyboard? :D

19. Rob Triggs

Devices:
    haha.. I totally missed that the first time around

20. Luka

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
    I went back after watching the video and he actually acknowledge the fact that he made the mistake :p