What is the best/worst wearable tech ideas you've seen?

Posted Oct 9, 2014 by Joe Hindy

1. Joe Hindy

Joe Hindy AA App Guy Staff Member Team AA

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3, LG Nexus 5, LG G Watch, NVIDIA Shield Tablet
    There is no right or wrong answer here. Some ideas of good ones is Google Glass or those contact lenses that measure your blood sugar. Some bad ideas would be LED-infused cloths (some of them are just gross).

So let's hear it. What wearable tech ideas are the best/worst in your opinion?

Best idea I've seen so far: smartwatches. Of all of them, that's the one I can see being the most useful in the long run.

Worst idea: LED cloths. It reminds me of those sneakers that light up when you walked. Those are just silly. And juvenile. And tacky :p

2. Luka

Luka Administrator Staff Member Team AA HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5, Sony SmartWatch 3
    [​IMG]
    Axent Wear and here's the thing. To me it's both best and worst. It's stupid but if i was in Japan and hanging with an EMO crowd, i would totally rock this. With time i am more and more starting to understand Japanese pop culture.
    If the release a model without the ears i might buy it. Kind of dig the Tron look.

BTW this is a crowd funded project that started on the 8th. They asked for 250.000$ and two days later they got half a million.

3. Waterdroid

Waterdroid Member Sentient Droid

[​IMG]
    That's right, the Apple Watch.
    I'm not an Android fanboy nor an Apple hater but I think this smartwatch is pretty bad. I haven't used one yet but I checked out the reviews and basically either the screen or the icons on the homescreen are too small to use easily and the button on the right side of the device is a turndown for people wearing their watch on their right wrist, as your hand would block your view to the screen when operating the button.

There'd probably be some more cons and sure there are pros too but these two cons are enough for me to conclude that I don't like the Apple Watch.

4. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Member Protocol Droid

Devices:
    OnePlus One, iPhone 5S
    The Casio watches with calculators on them. The buttons are so tiny and the screen is so hard to see.

5. Derek Scott

Derek Scott Webmaster Staff Member Protocol Droid

Devices:
    OnePlus One, Nexus 5, Nexus 7
  6. Waterdroid

Waterdroid Member Sentient Droid

Nice video, glad to see they pledged as much as $572,891 of their $35,000 goal. Never heard of lucid dreaming before by the way, learning something every day. :)

7. WearableTechForums.com

WearableTechForums.com Member Scrap Metal

I've seen "wearable" shoes that vibrate in the left or right sole to let you know when to turn. Thumbs down from me!

8. Pranay Rasulury

Pranay Rasulury Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    HTC One M7, Amazon Fire Phone
    [​IMG]
    Withings Activité Pop This watch looks great and has amazing features

9. pebbleoverapple

pebbleoverapple Member Scrap Metal

Hi Joe,
    I landed up on your post by virtue of what I do! LED infused clothing is ok - I think it all becomes a function of whether there is a utility there too. Axent wear itself did provide that utility which helped you stand out in a small way (while still being part of the subculture) so it is cool! Anyways, would love to hear your views on a backpack I made for cyclists (I commute extensively by cycles :) ) .

The purpose was essentially to give cyclists access to the same features that motorists have in terms of indicators, brake lights and to make cyclists a whole lot more visible! Cyclists can control the indicators through a handlebar unit connected through Bluetooth to the backpack. And the bag itself is connected to an app so you can configure the lights based on regulations and weather (e.g. fog mode).

Would love to hear your views on it!
    Thanks!
    Gandharv

10. Nanji Miera

Nanji Miera Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Insta360 , joystick, VR goggle
    The Worst has to be the QR tie. It has a QR code behind your tie and anyone can scan it with their smartphone to connect to your online profile. Just the worst marketing strategy ever!

11. Tim215

Tim215 Member Scrap Metal

how about fpv hd video recording glasses with wide angle camera http://camuglass.com/product/xventure-1080p-video-glasses/
    I honestly think that camera glasses are going to be widely used in the future by vloggers and celebtrities to give their audience an FPV view of the action as never seen before, so i think this is pretty cool

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  12. Matt Elborn

Matt Elborn Member Drone Droid

Devices:
    Pixel
    [​IMG]
    These wearable patches to monitor blood glucose levels are really cool.

13. biddendensue

biddendensue Member Scrap Metal

[​IMG] I invested via Indiegogo back in 2015 towards a Tago Arc E-Ink bracelet. Hoping to finally receive it soon, as I think it's a fab idea. The tech behind it changed along the development - it was originally to receive new designs and a micro charge via nfc from your phone. In the end, it gets new designs via bluetooth from your phone and has a magnetic contact for charging from the mains. They have already won awards in the wearable tech industry so it will br a joy to finally seem them in action!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk