What do you want to see in future smart watches?

Posted May 5, 2015 by Kyle George

1. Kyle George

Kyle George Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Nexus 5, Moto 360, Samsung Galaxy SIIX
    So I've been reading a lot of forums about the pro's & con's of current smart watches and from that I can kinda see what people want, so I ask, what do want to see in the next generation of smart watches?

I am personally fine with throwing my Moto 360 on the charger every night before I go to bed

2. Hikari

Hikari Well-Known Member Battle Droid

Devices:
    BQ Aquaris X5+ , Moto G3 , Pebble Time
    Sim card support as standard.
    Handwritting keyboard as voice recognition isnt perfect.
    At least 1000mAh battery without extending size of the watch.

That should be it for now as I will not go with any futuristic features like holograms or projectors for extending display features :)

3. Aurelian

Aurelian Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Nexus 5
    Battery life. It doesn't have to replicate a conventional watch (and probably won't), but it'd be nice to skip charging every few days rather than every night. Pebble does this, but you're also getting an e-paper display and all the limits that come with it.

After that: right now, they need to be thinner and smaller. Apple is probably the first smartwatch maker I've seen that actually accommodates thin wrists, and its designs are still fairly thick! I want to see smartwatches that both fit under a dress shirt cuff and don't look like gigantic men's watches (I'm looking at you, LG Watch Urbane).

Cellular data and lower prices would be nice, but the technology just isn't there yet to do those without compromising on size or quality.

4. dr.alpat

dr.alpat Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Google Nexus latest versions - phone and tablet
    There are exciting modular phones and smartphones coming up like Google's Project Ara, Phonebloks and Blocks Smartwatch.
    Project Ara and Blocks Smartwatch will be android based which great.
    Phonebloks is a just a design.

These project resolve the current battery issues we have as it becomes possible to add another battery as a module to the phone or smartwatch.

5. nostrademons

nostrademons Member Drone Droid

Better input methods - right now you still need to pull out your phone to send anything besides canned responses, I wish that you could at least send simple sentences...somehow.

Wi-fi support that's truly on the Internet. The wi-fi in 5.1.1 basically lets you sync from your phone to your watch via Google's servers even when they're out of range, by having the watch connect to a w-fi network. It would be nice if server-side apps could send messages directly through these servers to the watch, so that you don't need to route data through the phone first. Would open up a number of apps that use the watch for passive display of information that's generated on the web or elsewhere.

Similarly, wi-fi support without needing the phone to configure. Then people could use smartwatches without having a smartphone. Probably requires better input methods.

More access to sensors. I'd love it if something like the Deus Ex Aria came standard with a smartwatch.

6. Prince Dastan

Prince Dastan Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    I want to have the full control over features and I don't want to pay for unwanted features. I think Modular smart watch is something like this. On Modular smart watch user would be able to add new blocks and also develop own blocks. So user have the full control over features.

7. CHENMEIJUN

CHENMEIJUN Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Smart Watch
    Smart watches as a representative of advanced technology, for many years has always been only science fiction comics, science fiction and spy movies which are common magic equipment. But in a very long period of time, with the calculation of the function of the watch is always confined to the professional field

8. Julie Hayes

Julie Hayes Member Scrap Metal

Features I want to see in my smart watch are:
    Advanced Health Tracking: I know some smart watches come with the feature of health tracking but I am talking about the smart health tracking that can monitor diabetes, and come with a sensor to send emergency request messages.
    Enhanced voice control
    Single Touch Experiences