1. Join the forums

The Android Authority community is a great place to connect with other people from around the world who love Android.
    Why you should create an account?
    • Comment on articles and talk in our forums
    • Access to exclusive giveaways & contests
    • Collect Droids that can be redeemed for exclusive Android Authority apparel.
    • Get help from Android experts and other device owners.

Register or Login.

The PC Megathread: All NVIDIA graphics cards now 0% off!

Discussion in 'General Technology News and Discussion' started by Joe Hindy, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Joe Hindy

Joe Hindy AA App Guy Staff Member Protocol Droid

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3, LG Nexus 5, LG G Watch
    Hello everyone, welcome to the PC megathread. If you want to chat about computers, computer parts, or have computer related questions that you think might be answered by people here on this here Android forum, this is the thread to comment in. Feel free to discuss anything PC related even if that means just talking about your current build.

When in doubt, don't forget Wil Wheaton's Philosophy: Don't Be A Douche.

Some helpful links
    GPU Boss - GPU comparisons
    CPU Boss - CPU comparisons
    AnandTech Benchmark comparison (the best way to benchmark!)

Good places to buy things online
    Amazon
    Newegg

As the thread grows, more links will be added!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  2. Luka

Luka Administrator Staff Member Sentient Droid

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
    i just came to say that i like the title :D

3. Joe Hindy

Devices:
    I'm blatantly borrowing from the Something Awful forums naming conventions. If it ain't broke, don't fix it :)

4. Luka

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
    Just bought a GFX card today. Well ordered it, should go pick it up in a few hours. MSI R7 250 OC 1gb DDR5. That's a mouthful isn't it :D
    I had a gainward before but it died on me. Wanted to try the oven trick to get it working again but never got around to do it.
    I was on my MBOs integrated 4250HD so it's nice to be able to play games again. Shame that i can't come up with anything good to play. Wolfenstein is the only thing on my mind when it comes to gaming but that's not out yet.
    I'll give State of Decay - Breakdown a try later today :/

5. Luka

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
    Jayfeather787 and Darcy LaCouvee like this.
  6. Joe Hindy

Devices:
    Nice. I considered getting one of those but I ended up finding an ASUS GTX 660TI on sale for like $250 (a steal at the time). The dude I bought it from was uber knowledgeable. Already had the overclock profiles figured out and just sent me the numbers to plug in.

I render my AA videos in about 1.5x real time (5 minute video takes like 3 minutes). I freaking love Cuda :D ...unfortunately Premiere Pro's OpenCL support is rather funky so I didn't trust getting a Radeon.

7. Luka

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
    I always figured it was more like a camp thing. You're a Apple or Android guy, PC or Xbox gamer, Radeon or Nvidia. One Nvidia card died on me so i'm a Radeon guy now. I'm also an AMD guy. I like how there is always something to unlock with their CPU-u. I have a 3 core cpu with an option to unlock the 4th core. At the moment there is no need for the 4th one so i got it locked.

8. Ed Briggs

Ed Briggs Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    Nexus 5, Ubuntu laptop
    Don't forget Linux! ;) I upgraded my hard drive to the Samsung 840 Pro SSD and added 4 more gigs of ram (8 total) to my Dell Latitude laptop. Runs like an absolute dream now with Ubuntu Gnome 14.04

9. imS0ul

imS0ul Member Protocol Droid

Devices:
    Bright Red Nexus 5 !
    Words to live by :p
    I'm still figuring out if I should upgrade my GTX 760 to a better nvidia card or simply put another one in there running SLI.
    Oh, the struggle. The struggle

10. Luka

Devices:
    Xiaomi Mi3
    As i understand it its not x2. it's like a 50% upgrade. IDKow :/
    This 250 works just fine for me. I never liked spending big money on GFX cards.

11. imS0ul

Devices:
    Bright Red Nexus 5 !
    Yeah, SLI is not 2x the performance but it helps. That's why I'm struggling with the decision :p

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  12. Rob Triggs

Rob Triggs Administrator Staff Member Battle Droid

Devices:
    Galaxy S2 (PA 4.4), LG G3
    I don't think SLi (or Crossfire) is ever worth the money, simply because driver support is very hit and miss (more often miss from what I've read). A lot of the time you'll be stuck with just a single working card, or stuttering/lousy performance for months after a game comes out, if they ever bother to actually produce decent drivers.

The second issue is micro-stutter, where rendering doesn't quite line-up properly even if the framerate is very high on average. I read a really good article on this once, I'll try and dig it out, but this one offers a good enough explanation. Whilst Nvidia has fewer issues than AMD, it's still quite pronounced in many games, especially with tri or quad card setups.

I know this is just anecdotal evidence, but for the cost vs performance benefits I really think you'd be better off selling your existing card and putting that money towards a single more powerful card. Even so, I think a 760 has some time left to run. At least wait until the high-end Maxwell chips come along.

Jayfeather787 likes this.
  13. imS0ul

Devices:
    Bright Red Nexus 5 !
    Yeah. And we're all relying on manufacturers to update the drivers for the latest games to be compatible with sli. Watch dogs, for instance, still doesn't use the 2nd card.

14. Joe Hindy

Devices:
    A lot of programs don't work well with it either. I backed down on buying two cards for Premiere Pro on Windows because of reports that it doesn't work quite well enough.

15. Vincent Medina

Vincent Medina Member

Devices:
    htc one m8
    Well I will tell you this. Last week I finally contacted evga because my gtx 660 sc was overheating on stupid low fps games in the high 98-100 and would shut down and restart my computer. Finally I got my warranty worth, sending me a new one today :). I like this thread

16. Joe Hindy

Devices:
    I hope that doesn't ever happen to me. I have an ASUS 660ti and it has like 3 fans on it. I've altered the profile to make the minimum fan speed 30% and it goes up from there. This computer doesn't even try to get hot anymore (I also have a CPU cooler, one of those nifty EVO212 I think it is. The giant ass one). It's nice.

I do plan on upgrading to an Intel CPU though...just kinda waiting for le savings account to allow it :)

17. Jayfeather787

Jayfeather787 Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    Nexus 7 2013, Nexus 5, HTC Sensation, Motorola Droid X, Samsung Galaxy Exhibit
    Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 270 is 150 bucks on Newegg.

18. Jayfeather787

Jayfeather787 Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    Nexus 7 2013, Nexus 5, HTC Sensation, Motorola Droid X, Samsung Galaxy Exhibit
    That's a nice CPU cooler. The new anniversary Intel G3258 Pentium may not be the strongest CPU, but it is unlocked, and you can overclock the crap out of that thing. Overclocked, it performs just as well as an i7-4790k in games. .
    I need a new graphics card. Still rocking my PNY Nvidia Gt 430. Sigh. It's a custom built PC, and my power supply is massive, something like 700 watts, so I could probably upgrade to a Radeon R9 290 or GTX 780, but I don't have the funds.

19. Joe Hindy

Devices:
    My power supply is around there too (700W) and it handles AMD's energy-loving CPU and the 660ti. You should be fine :)

20. Rob Triggs

Rob Triggs Administrator Staff Member Battle Droid

Devices:
    Galaxy S2 (PA 4.4), LG G3
    Oh yeah 700W is tons of headroom, even for the slightly more power hungry AMD CPUs. My HD7950 and overclocked 4.4GHz i5 is running on a 550W PSU. :p

Joe Hindy and Jayfeather787 like this.