1. Join the forums

The Android Authority community is a great place to connect with other people from around the world who love Android.
    Why you should create an account?
    • Comment on articles and talk in our forums
    • Access to exclusive giveaways & contests
    • Collect Droids that can be redeemed for exclusive Android Authority apparel.
    • Get help from Android experts and other device owners.

Register or Login.

Storage/SDCard0 won't mount

Discussion in 'General ROM Discussion' started by Rob Triggs, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Rob Triggs

Rob Triggs Moderator Staff Member

Devices:
    Galaxy S2 (PA 4.4), LG G3
    Ok I made a bit of an oversight when installing a new ROM for a friend of mine, forgetting that the internal storage had been encrypted. Having installed the ROM, the system is now failing to detect any internal memory, outside of the system space and SDcard, meaning that the gallery apps, camera, etc are all failing to work properly. The device is a Galaxy S2.

Worse yet, there are a couple of photos on the encrypted portion of the drive which ideally need to be recovered.

If all that isn't bad enough, I've managed to restore the backup, but the encryption password now no longer works!!!

So, does anyone have any solutions for me? :(
  2. Jayfeather787

Jayfeather787 New Member

Devices:
    Nexus 7 2013, Nexus 5, HTC Sensation, Motorola Droid X, Samsung Galaxy Exhibit
    Wow. That's pretty severe. Ask that on XDA, or I can ask it there for you if you want.
  3. Rob Triggs

Devices:
    haha yeah, it was pretty stupid of me. I'm pretty sure I can format the space as a last resort, but I'd really like to get back past the encryption to grab the files. I'll ask on XDA
    Jayfeather787 likes this.
  4. Jayfeather787

Jayfeather787 New Member

Devices:
    Nexus 7 2013, Nexus 5, HTC Sensation, Motorola Droid X, Samsung Galaxy Exhibit
    Good luck! While waiting for replies, watch Paul's hilarious commentary on this video. XP
  5. Rob Triggs

Devices:
    Haha.

Sadly I ended up doing a complete handset wipe and reset, losing some rather important pictures in the process :(. I couldn't find a way to access the encrypted partition, even after various resets and software re-installs. My guess is something was corrupted pretty badly, or Android encryption is just that good/paranoid.

Let this be a lesson to even experienced rooters and ROMers, never forget your basic checks and backups, or you'll regret it. Always disable encryption before flashing!
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014